Forums > MaxMSP

slider limitations

December 21, 2010 | 1:54 pm

Hey there,
I don’t know, but it always comes to an end when I want to use a slider in a specific way. I still think the slider object is much too limited.
Now I’m searching for something like a ‘rslider’ in which u can determine the left border and then u can move the right border, but ONLY the right border. So the left border stays fixed.
I found this external ‘ad.rangeslider’ on maxobjects which goes in the right direction. The problem here is that I can’t switch off the possibility to move the whole slider bar and I can’t determine that the right border is not allowed to be smaller than the left border….

Can anybody help? I think it’s a bit tricky. Or is there an external which could help?
Thanx so much.
Merry X-Mas
Peer

December 21, 2010 | 3:30 pm

The shift key enables moving whichever boundary (lower or upper) of the rslider range you click on with the mouse.

December 21, 2010 | 3:54 pm

thanx….I know, but still I can change the lower boundary or move the upper beneath the lower.
what I would like to do is: fix the lower boundary at a certain value and then move the upper boundary up and down with the restriction that it can’t go lower than the lower boundary….does this sound logical ?

December 21, 2010 | 4:17 pm

Ok. Well here’s a quick hack using rslider. EDIT: Unfortunately I discovered this method sets the upper bound too so it doesn’t really work as you want. Oh well, it may help you develop something more robust.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

December 21, 2010 | 4:22 pm

if that involves custom programming anway, you could also just build your own using [lcd]

December 21, 2010 | 4:47 pm

Hey Roman,
could u help a bit please ?…I don’t have any idea how to start…tried a lot, nothing worked…
Would be great.
I’ve no idea how u could do something like a slider with [lcd]…sorry, sorry

Cheers
Peer

December 25, 2010 | 12:19 pm

Hey,
I found what I wanted.
A slider with a fixed starting point and a changable end point which can’t go beneath the starting point.
Couldn’t figure out how to do that with [lcd] though.

Cheers
Peer

Attachments:
  1. slider.maxpat.zip

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)