Forums > MaxMSP

Slit scan time warp MAP

April 9, 2013 | 3:32 pm

Max comes with a few examples of the slit scan technique, and I have also developed my own.
But I want to expand the slit scan technique with a "time warp map".

In "traditional" slit scan , only one line of the input video is drawn each frame.

With a "time warp map", every pixel is drawn, but each pixel has it own delay as determined by a black and white mask.
An example of its implementation : http://jamesgeorge.org/ofxslitscan/
An examples of its use : https://vimeo.com/10825604

Can this be easily built in Max 6?

April 9, 2013 | 3:38 pm

The only solution I can image is an input three dimensional matrix where z is time.
The output si a two dimensional matrix where each pixel is selected from the third dimension as set by a second char matrix.

April 9, 2013 | 5:47 pm

check out the following example patch, that does exactly this:
/Applications/Max 6.1/examples/jitter-examples/render/Textures/subtex.3d.maxpat

enable usedstdim on the gl.texture to start the time-warp effect.

April 10, 2013 | 5:15 pm

Ok, wow, thanks :)
If I understand correctly, "subtex" allows to change a portion of a texture.
The td.plane3d.jxs shader allows to "reduce" a 3D texture to a 2D texture following a "map".

April 10, 2013 | 6:48 pm

Hiya,
I made something like this a few years ago using JS and a custom shader. I’m pretty sure I posted it somewhere in the forums, but not sure where. Anyways, the way I did it was to create a texture/videoplane for each delay frame and then draw each of those planes with an alpha mask determined by comparing the master delay mask to a threshold. I did it this way specifically because I was working on a 3D effect so I wanted some depth. Here it is if you want to have a look.

Attachments:
  1. jsgldelay.zip

April 11, 2013 | 7:49 am

This is stunning. Can anyone with some js chops hack the ubiquitous jit.gl.handle and esc-to-fullscreen commands on to this? It seems to already have some jit.gl.handle in it, it generates the colored lines when you click but it doesn’t move – rotating this slightly would be insane.

JMC
September 9, 2013 | 3:17 pm

I’ve got a question about the subtex.3d.maxpat example. In the patch, a subtext_matrix message (with dstdimstart and dstdimend) is used to fill one plane of the 3D texture with a matrix.
Is there a way to fill one plane of the 3D texture with a 2D texture?
In my work I need to record 10 seconds (600 frames) of a render to play it later, and I do not want to go to matrix side (the framerate decreases too much).

Otherwise, is it possible to get the result of the td.plane3d.jxs shader into a jit.gl.texture ? Seems for me it doesn’t work within a jit.gl.slab (no 3D texture input).

Thanks,

Jean-Michel

September 10, 2013 | 10:39 am

you can adapt the plane3d shader to a simpler version, allowing you to sample a single 2d texture from a 3d buffer.
i’ve attached an example.

JMC
September 10, 2013 | 2:54 pm

Thanks!
In fact I want to send to the 3D buffer a texture and not a matrix (with subtex_matrix message).
Is it possible to do that?
My source is a live capture from a jit.gl.camera, and I want to store the 600 last frames, without converting the jit.gl.camera texture to a matrix before sending it to the 3D buffer.

JMC

September 10, 2013 | 3:18 pm

this is not currently possible.
instead you can use poly~ or javascript to manage your texture array.

JMC
October 4, 2013 | 7:11 am

OK, thanks for the advice.
Here is an patch that create an OpenGL texture delay from a texture source using js (adapted from Andrew’s patch above).

I’ve got a feature request: a new jit.gl.textureset external with the same behavior than jit.matrixset but within openGL. I think a such object could have better performances than js or poly~ stuff.

JM

October 4, 2013 | 11:29 am

this is great. thanks for sharing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)