Slow Display Update on Matrixctrl

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:58am

Slow Display Update on Matrixctrl

Hello,!
I am using a matrixctrl to display data from Cellular Automata but as the patch has got more cpu intensive it has started to skip and isnt displaying whats happening with the CA.

I’m guessing jitter is probably more appropriate.. Is there any way to transfer the matrixctrl data into a jit.window? Is this possible with more than 1 cell state (I have 5 at the moment with different coloured cell images).

I am completely ignorant when it comes to jitter!

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:50am

How often are you updating the [matrixctrl]? You might want to look at [jit.conway] for help on CA in jitter, it will get you started at least.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:15am

the speed varies, its runs fine at very fast rates (<50ms) with DSP off but as soon as its on the matrix will skip lots of "frames" when showing the CA.

the jit.conway example file looks like it could be helpful tho, just need to try and understand jitter a bit better

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:36am

can you just bypass the matrixctrl and go straight to a jit.matrix? this would update tons faster. of course if you need the UI capabilities of matrixctrl this wouldn’t be as useful. Or, you could have both, then use the UI part once in awhile, hide it otherwise. You can bang matrixctrl and get all the cell values, should be able to populate the jit.matrix in a snap.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:31am

Here’s jit.conway running a matrixctrl, but I don’t think its a very efficient thing to do:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Dec 7, 2010 at 9:12am

another way, with just jit.iter/pack/message box. didn’t realize you could do it like this…benchmark testing could be interesting to compare rates? checking fps with matrixctrl hidden/visible changes a lot when you try metro 10.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:30am

Ha, much simpler and more efficient I daresay! I did make that ages ago in my defence ;)

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:39pm

ah thanks for that, the matrixctrl I’m having problems with is purley for displaying the CA, I have a seperate one for the input which is proccessed by a CA object I made (I ended up coding my own instead of using the jit.conway so I could have a bit more control).

I see that you have used a coll to enter the “live” co-ordinates, so I guess I can use this method for the CA data, just need to figure out how to have multiple states of single cells represented in the window also (with different colours), jit.fill looks promising, not sure if thats really using it for what its actually for though!

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:32pm

For colours you can send the live coordinates to either the red, green or blue plane or a combination to make other colours. Example for you:

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:16pm

thats great thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.