smart sensor fabrics

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:23pm

smart sensor fabrics

Im looking for a smart fabric that can detect coordinates and be
projected on, or there abouts, preferably with some max object or some
kind of friendly communications interface., anybody done anythink in
this area? Alternatively are there sensors that can be woven in to
existing fabrics?

thanks for any clues, Pereshaped


Pere Josep Villez (Pereshaped)
Creative and Computational Sound
Department of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth
36-40 Middle Street
Portsmouth
PO5
Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484

http://www.centuryofnoise.com
http://www.perevillez.com

#34291
Oct 24, 2007 at 2:30am

hey pere,

I don’t know of any smart fabrics and i’m not quite sure how that would work, i’ve done some work with flex sensors which can be sewn into fabrics and easily translated into workable data via arduino -> max. I attend graduate school a the university illinois chicago and there is quite a bit of work being done in this field here in the evl with particular focus towards physical therapy/rehabilitation. i would definitely suggest this path, you will have much support available from both the max and arduino community.

good luck
benjamin

#115432
Oct 24, 2007 at 4:14am

Hi

Tactex, in Victoria BC Canada, makes just such a fabric. It can do multitouch to quite fine coordinates. It’s really expensive though…

D

#115433
Oct 24, 2007 at 7:27pm

here are some friends doing some research on the topic and came up with some interesting solutions , there is no public release yet , but you may contact them.
link :

http://xyinteraction.free.fr/wikinimst/wakka.php?wiki=XYinteraction_Wiki

best

Quote: pvillez@gmail.com wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 23:23
—————————————————-
> Im looking for a smart fabric that can detect coordinates and be
> projected on, or there abouts, preferably with some max object or some
> kind of friendly communications interface., anybody done anythink in
> this area? Alternatively are there sensors that can be woven in to
> existing fabrics?
>
> thanks for any clues, Pereshaped
>
> —
> Pere Josep Villez (Pereshaped)
> Creative and Computational Sound
> Department of Creative Technologies
> University of Portsmouth
> 36-40 Middle Street
> Portsmouth
> PO5
> Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484
>
> http://www.centuryofnoise.com
> http://www.perevillez.com
>
—————————————————-

#115434
Oct 24, 2007 at 11:24pm

Hi all, thanks for the Taxtex link it looks really interesting. I also
like the idea of the coordinate fabric. many thanks for the
pointers, P

On 24/10/2007, karl-otto von oertzen wrote:
>
> here are some friends doing some research on the topic and came up with some interesting solutions , there is no public release yet , but you may contact them.
> link :
> http://xyinteraction.free.fr/wikinimst/wakka.php?wiki=XYinteraction_Wiki
>
> best
>
>
> Quote: pvillez@gmail.com wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 23:23
> —————————————————-
> > Im looking for a smart fabric that can detect coordinates and be
> > projected on, or there abouts, preferably with some max object or some
> > kind of friendly communications interface., anybody done anythink in
> > this area? Alternatively are there sensors that can be woven in to
> > existing fabrics?
> >
> > thanks for any clues, Pereshaped
> >
> > –
> > Pere Josep Villez (Pereshaped)
> > Creative and Computational Sound
> > Department of Creative Technologies
> > University of Portsmouth
> > 36-40 Middle Street
> > Portsmouth
> > PO5
> > Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484
> >
> > http://www.centuryofnoise.com
> > http://www.perevillez.com
> >
> —————————————————-
>
>
> –
> karrrlo
>
>


Pere Josep Villez
Creative and Computational Sound
Department of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth
36-40 Middle Street
Portsmouth
PO5
Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484

http://www.centuryofnoise.com
http://www.perevillez.com

#115435
Oct 25, 2007 at 12:54am

while your in brussels, drop by foam, they work with this. i believe
there’s also an article or two in our publication http://xmeda.be, i
can get you a paper copy too.

best

isjtar

On Oct 25, 2007, at 1:24 AM, Pere Josep Villez wrote:

> Hi all, thanks for the Taxtex link it looks really interesting. I also
> like the idea of the coordinate fabric. many thanks for the
> pointers, P
>
> On 24/10/2007, karl-otto von oertzen wrote:
>>
>> here are some friends doing some research on the topic and came up
>> with some interesting solutions , there is no public release yet ,
>> but you may contact them.
>> link :
>> http://xyinteraction.free.fr/wikinimst/wakka.php?
>> wiki=XYinteraction_Wiki
>>
>> best
>>
>>
>> Quote: pvillez@gmail.com wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 23:23
>> —————————————————-
>>> Im looking for a smart fabric that can detect coordinates and be
>>> projected on, or there abouts, preferably with some max object or
>>> some
>>> kind of friendly communications interface., anybody done anythink in
>>> this area? Alternatively are there sensors that can be woven in to
>>> existing fabrics?
>>>
>>> thanks for any clues, Pereshaped
>>>
>>> –
>>> Pere Josep Villez (Pereshaped)
>>> Creative and Computational Sound
>>> Department of Creative Technologies
>>> University of Portsmouth
>>> 36-40 Middle Street
>>> Portsmouth
>>> PO5
>>> Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484
>>>
>>> http://www.centuryofnoise.com
>>> http://www.perevillez.com
>>>
>> —————————————————-
>>
>>
>> –
>> karrrlo
>>
>>
>
>
> —
> Pere Josep Villez
> Creative and Computational Sound
> Department of Creative Technologies
> University of Portsmouth
> 36-40 Middle Street
> Portsmouth
> PO5
> Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484
>
> http://www.centuryofnoise.com
> http://www.perevillez.com

#115436
Oct 25, 2007 at 7:09am

superb, will try drop by tommorow, cheers, P

On 25/10/2007, isjtar

wrote:
> while your in brussels, drop by foam, they work with this. i believe
> there’s also an article or two in our publication http://xmeda.be, i
> can get you a paper copy too.
>
> best
>
> isjtar
>
> On Oct 25, 2007, at 1:24 AM, Pere Josep Villez wrote:
>
> > Hi all, thanks for the Taxtex link it looks really interesting. I also
> > like the idea of the coordinate fabric. many thanks for the
> > pointers, P
> >
> > On 24/10/2007, karl-otto von oertzen wrote:
> >>
> >> here are some friends doing some research on the topic and came up
> >> with some interesting solutions , there is no public release yet ,
> >> but you may contact them.
> >> link :
> >> http://xyinteraction.free.fr/wikinimst/wakka.php?
> >> wiki=XYinteraction_Wiki
> >>
> >> best
> >>
> >>
> >> Quote: pvillez@gmail.com wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 23:23
> >> —————————————————-
> >>> Im looking for a smart fabric that can detect coordinates and be
> >>> projected on, or there abouts, preferably with some max object or
> >>> some
> >>> kind of friendly communications interface., anybody done anythink in
> >>> this area? Alternatively are there sensors that can be woven in to
> >>> existing fabrics?
> >>>
> >>> thanks for any clues, Pereshaped
> >>>
> >>> –
> >>> Pere Josep Villez (Pereshaped)
> >>> Creative and Computational Sound
> >>> Department of Creative Technologies
> >>> University of Portsmouth
> >>> 36-40 Middle Street
> >>> Portsmouth
> >>> PO5
> >>> Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484
> >>>
> >>> http://www.centuryofnoise.com
> >>> http://www.perevillez.com
> >>>
> >> —————————————————-
> >>
> >>
> >> –
> >> karrrlo
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > –
> > Pere Josep Villez
> > Creative and Computational Sound
> > Department of Creative Technologies
> > University of Portsmouth
> > 36-40 Middle Street
> > Portsmouth
> > PO5
> > Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484
> >
> > http://www.centuryofnoise.com
> > http://www.perevillez.com
>
>


Pere Josep Villez
Creative and Computational Sound
Department of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth
36-40 Middle Street
Portsmouth
PO5
Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484

http://www.centuryofnoise.com
http://www.perevillez.com

#115437
Oct 26, 2007 at 1:03pm

there is an artist in providence who goes under the alias Lucky Dragons who has done a lot of instillations with a concept like this. he made a rug with some sort of conductors woven into the sections of the rug on his own, and it worked through some program (probably a max patch). as people would touch different sections of the rug, they would make different connections to trigger different samples and sounds. they also incouraged touching of other people who were touching different areas on the rug. it is pretty neat. i think he made this fabric/rug himself though.
peace
gilroy

#115438
Oct 26, 2007 at 6:43pm

Gilroy many thanks will get in touch with them, best Pere

On 26/10/2007, Christophe Gilroy wrote:
>
> there is an artist in providence who goes under the alias Lucky Dragons who has done a lot of instillations with a concept like this. he made a rug with some sort of conductors woven into the sections of the rug on his own, and it worked through some program (probably a max patch). as people would touch different sections of the rug, they would make different connections to trigger different samples and sounds. they also incouraged touching of other people who were touching different areas on the rug. it is pretty neat. i think he made this fabric/rug himself though.
> peace
> gilroy
> –
> ~and the branch becomes from the ruins that go softly as the roots undo~
>


Pere Josep Villez
Creative and Computational Sound
Department of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth
36-40 Middle Street
Portsmouth
PO5
Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484

http://www.centuryofnoise.com
http://www.perevillez.com

#115439

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.