smooth phase offset subtraction like Props Subtractor

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:51am

smooth phase offset subtraction like Props Subtractor

Hi,

I guess I need to do something with sah~ to get tweaking the phase smooth.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Sep 23, 2010 at 5:00pm

I would avoid sah~ for this as it would require feedback and hence a vector of delay from a send~receive~ pair.

Something like this is simpler, and will sound smoother than doing it with sah~, because it will let you control the phase offset at audio rate.

Also, if this is for a synth, consider using saw~ instead of phasor~ as it is already band-limited, so will sound better (less aliasing). And to spice things up, you could try adding a tiny amount of band-limited noise to the oscillator frequency and the phase offset, to keep the phase interaction of the sum moving constantly, which you might like……..perhaps a little more “analogue-esq” if you get the scaling right ;) Also, because you’re subtracting the two oscillators, you need to limit the phase offset so it never reaches exactly 1, or you’ll get no signal.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:22pm

You might want to add the phase offset to the sum of the oscillators, to remove the DC-offset it creates. Also, I just noticed that what you’re creating is essentially pulse-width modulation of a square wave. You can do it more easily with train~. If you then do want the DC-offset back, just subtract the phase-offset from the output of train.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.