Forums > Jitter

SNEAK PEEK: Jitter Graphics Features in Max 6

October 12, 2011 | 6:52 pm

Check out our latest C74 Developer Sneak Peek video with Jitter Elf Robert Ramirez showing off the awesome some new OpenGL features coming soon in Max 6. Get psyched:

http://cycling74.com/2011/10/12/max-6-sneak-peek-jitter-opengl/

October 12, 2011 | 8:22 pm

wow, that looks absolutely amazing!
the new features, the patching workflow – max 6 seems to be a totally new incarnation of the max universe…
of course i can’t wait to run around in there, throwing around those shiny GL-objects ;)

October 13, 2011 | 12:21 am

Just phenomenal. Expected improvements, but I’m completely blown away. Fantastic!

October 13, 2011 | 5:48 am

Wow! That is worth the upgrade price alone.

October 13, 2011 | 9:32 am

Congratulations, Cycling. This is a bigger Jitter upgrade than I was expecting. I liked the simplicity with which some of the functions could be done. The last one in the video, in particular, applying a slab to a node (group of objects), paraphrasing Steve Jobs: BOOM! No need to automatic 0, to_texture and that kind of stuff…

When I’ve read before about the new lighting Jitter features, I was expecting something different: an easy method to generate shadows. Will it be feasible with Max 6?

Thanks. Keep up the good work!

October 13, 2011 | 2:05 pm

Hi R. Ramirez, it seems that you and the cycling team made a great work making Jit.ogre part of Jitter (among other several fantastik things). Could you point to us, formr Jit.ogre users, what have changed or improved related to jit.ogre? will the new jit.model make possible to use kinect-skeletons/joints to animate models?

thanks a lot for the great work and I can’t wait till the release!!!

October 13, 2011 | 6:28 pm

hey guys, glad you are excited about the new features.

re:shadows – we aren’t currently offering a built-in shadow feature, however with the new gl.node and gl.camera texture capture, and the gl.light and anim.node objects, you have all the necessary tools to implement this with shaders. we will possibly have some examples of this available. future updates are likely to include built-in shadow support.

re: model loading – the new gl.model object has many features that jit-ogre does not (namely support for many different model and scene files), and we worked hard to integrate it with the new max 6 opengl features (material generator, animation-nodes, etc).

integration with kinect type skeleton controllers was certainly one of the goals for this new object. the "copynodestoclipboard" feature demonstrated in the video was designed with this functionality in mind.

sometime after the release, i will do my best to update jit-ogre for max 6, as it is still a useful object and does some things that gl.model does not (namely blend-shape support).

dtr
October 13, 2011 | 6:48 pm

great to see gl ‘s getting so much love! psyched about phys…

how do i get into the beta program?

efe
October 14, 2011 | 5:47 am

This looks seriously good guys!
questions:
1-Any significant change on the Max6 SDK (please, move the external development to an OOP language!)
2-Which version of GLSL is used on this update?

update: just tested the beta version and is sexy sexy sexy…

October 14, 2011 | 12:15 pm

@efe

1. The SDK will be updated shortly with all the new additions, and information for 64bit MSP objects and other changes. As for OOP, you are welcome to use c++ or Obj C. There are examples available of using these languages, however we remain committed to the existing C API and that won’t be changing.

2. As is the case with previous versions, the version of GLSL supported by your machine is OS/Driver dependent. The example shaders provided, remain 1.0 for compatibility on as many machines as possible. If you want to use later versions than 1.0, simply change the version string in your JXS–i.e. language name="glsl" version="1.0" in jit.gl.pix, we can use newer language features when available internally.

efe
October 14, 2011 | 3:30 pm

Hey Joshua!
cool! wow, even .m is supported to develop externals? very very cool!

efe
October 14, 2011 | 4:34 pm

Hey Timothy
I knew about but as far as i remember there were not examples for jitter externals or matrix manipulation (very much on the way java/jitter object can be used)

With regards the objective-c model: do you think it is feasible the use of a permanent store data model (like that of the CoreDate framework) in order to store presets and maybe other numerical states (like shader uniform values and such…)?

October 14, 2011 | 9:51 pm

@efe I was not suggesting we provide any new examples for c++ or obj C in the new sdk. I was referring to those in existence, which have already been discussed extensively in the forums.

October 14, 2011 | 11:03 pm

Oh man. Does Objective-Max work for Jitter objects? The existing Max/Jitter SDK is very difficult for me to do things with – I find it daunting and extremely verbose. How did I not know about Objective Max?

Time to look into that.

October 15, 2011 | 12:33 am

@vade and @efe — ObjectiveMax has not seen much love in a while, and no Jitter support was added to it, but it is open source and those things can grow… I’m happy to put some effort in if there are others who will also join the effort and/or benefit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)