Forums > Jitter

Some advice of where to start with Jitter

August 8, 2014 | 2:42 pm

Hello all.

I have been a Max user for some time and have built the engine of my new program, the ‘back-end’ as it were to a degree where I need to start attaching it to UI.

After considering many options, I’ve decided to keep it all together, and build the interface environment in Jitter. However, I have very little knowledge of graphics, so I could do with some pointers and a path of learning that will allow me to do what I need. I know the Max patching method very well however, hence my decision, along with the fact that textual code makes me want to run away (I investigated C++, processing and Javascript, and it all makes me twitch).

In short, I want to create an environment where the user can initiate template objects which will be animated, driven by numbers from the back-end. There will need to be multiple objects on screen which can be moved, and hopefully resized, and not lay on top of each other. These objects will need to be connected, disconnected and associated via patch cords, perhaps groupable, possibly with hoopable collecting with resulting nice animation (later consideration). It will require multiple views (i.e. screens), possibly tabbed, maybe something more elegant. Interactive buttons and scrollable boxes to, and other, more familiar objects too. I may decide for a 3d environment, but I realise that this project is pretty big for a first attempt already.

If this makes sense to anyone, some advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

September 9, 2014 | 5:06 am

Break this down into smaller questions/problems and then I’m sure people will have the time to step in and help

September 9, 2014 | 10:33 am

Yes, you are very ambitious…

Everything you describe is possible in Max. There would be a lot of custom drawing you would have to do.
I would suggest you face your fear and learn javascript. Javascript will make your life much easier, especially
when trying to do a lot of interactive mouse behaviors.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)