soundflower…aggregate device aggravation
i am trying to get audio from maxMSP 4.6 (intel vers) to logic pro 7 via soundflower 16ch. using the aggregate device method.
im on a macbook pro, OS 10.4.8, and a motu traveller.
i have created an aggregate device by combining my motu traveller and soundflower 16ch. but can’t get at the soundflower channels through the Audio MIDI setup once i make it an aggregate.
from the logic interface i pick the aggrigate device in the drivers window.
when i go to select a channel input for the track the inputs are available but there is no signal via soundflower. the motu inputs work just fine.
the vector size is the same (512) and the sampling rate is the same (44100) in MSP and Logic.
my understanding of this process so far is that, once i aggregate them, i can decide which channels i want to point to soundflower and which ones i want to point to the motu.
should i be seeing channels in logic labeled explicitly as Soundflower channels?
does anyone know of any detailed tutorials about this online?
thanks so much for your help in advance..
previous posts on this topic have been helpful but im still stuck.
Online help here, by Mitchell Turner:
yeah i checked out those tutorials. they are really great and detailed. great directions on getting rewire going and sending MIDI back and forth. thanks mitch – if youre out there…
guess i should have put this in before…
so what im trying to do is route 8 channels from Max into Logic. im also trying to avoid the bouncing problem with Rewire in logic. so i was thinking i’d have to use soundflower 16ch.
the purpose of the aggregate device approach is for monitoring mostly in this case.
Have you tried Jack OS X?
If I understand you correctly, it should be pretty straightforward using Jack.
At 1:51 PM -0700 1/17/07, Peter wrote:
>yeah i checked out those tutorials. they are really great and
>detailed. great directions on getting rewire going and sending MIDI
>back and forth. thanks mitch – if youre out there…
>guess i should have put this in before…
>so what im trying to do is route 8 channels from Max into Logic. im
>also trying to avoid the bouncing problem with Rewire in logic. so i
>was thinking i’d have to use soundflower 16ch.
>the purpose of the aggregate device approach is for monitoring
>mostly in this case.
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X
Here is a method for sending the output of LOGIC to the input of Max/MSP. I wrote this in another thread on Logic and Max/MSP and these instructions are the ones that PG is refering to (I think).
I also use soundflower. I used the Audio Midi Setup utilty to create and Aggregate Device. This Aggregate Device uses Built-in as channels 1-2 and Soundflower (2Ch) as Channels 3-4.
Then to send audio from Logic to Max, I do this:
1) I select my Aggregate Device in Logic’s Audio Drivers Preference.
2) set an audio track’s output to 3-4 (which is soundflower)
3) Then in Max, I select my Aggregate device as the Audio Driver
4) and Soundflower as the input device
If you want to send audio from Max/MSP to LOGIC, you can use SoundFlower to do it. You will need to note which input numbers SoundFlower 16Ch is using in your Aggregate device and then use the appropriate channel numbers.
In my example above, I use soundflower (2Ch) as channels 3 and 4 and the builtin as channels 1 and 2. So, if I wanted to send audio from Max/MSP to Logic, I’d need to send audio to chnnels 3 and 4 by using the [dac~ 3 4] object. Then in LOGIC, I’d set the input of an audio track to 3 or 4 (or a stereo track to 3-4).
I hope this makes some sense to you. If not, I’ll try to elaborate.
ooh…synching apps. my favourite topic!
i ve been experimenting with soundflower 2ch sending audio to Live from maxmsp. i get sound, but soundflower seems to screw up my midi timing !(IAC bus from Live to maxmsp). if i output audio triggered by same IAC bus to my soundcard from maxmsp it sounds fine, but via soundflower into Live it gets very sloppy, even missing hits altogether….
any tips on optimizing soundflower? jack osx looks interesting too
aaaahhhh i think i got it
I’m sure you’ve checked, but one thing that seems to happen sometimes with aggregate devices is that the sample rate somehow gets changed for one of the devices so the two are not the same in the AudioMIDI Setup. Then, in whatever application you load the aggregate driver, you only see some of the I/O.
Quote: thebulk.net wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 23:07
> aaaahhhh i think i got it
> thanks mitch!
> thanks dan!
See, bin? It works :)
What soundcard did you say you have? What computer? etc etc.. Tried a clean install?
Quote: Mitch Turner wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 22:08
> Here is a method for sending the output of LOGIC to the input of Max/MSP. I wrote this in another thread on Logic and Max/MSP and these instructions are the ones that PG is refering to (I think).
Yeah, you helped me greatly in that thread. It wouldn’t be a bad idea at all to make this one of your nice help files too, I think.
I’ll make up a help file on this and post it as soon as I can. Gald my tutorials are helpful.
>these instructions are the ones that PG is referring to (I think).
I preciously kept your posts about Max < => Logic !
> I’ll make up a help file on this and post it as soon as I can.
> Glad my tutorials are helpful.
Oh yes they are!
Thanks for sharing.
Yes, I’ll post a new thread when I finish Max< ->Logic Aggregate Device Tutorial. Shouldn’t take too long.