Forums > Max For Live

Spectrum Sampler – a new M4L device

May 13, 2013 | 2:00 am

Hi all, I just released a new M4L device: Spectrum Sampler.
It samples and holds spectral components of the incoming signal. It can create inharmonic resonances, artifacts, dusty noises, drones, gliding sounds: a wide palette of amazing noises.
More info here: http://www.amazingnoises.com/am/?p=78
A video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRhoiqziaI

May 13, 2013 | 5:00 am

Real nice… looking forward to playing with this one. Thanks.

dtr
May 13, 2013 | 6:10 am

Another wicked device… let the glitching begin! :]

May 13, 2013 | 9:33 am

great stuff, the sound is phenominal, as always.

Quick question; I’m seeing a LOT of latency with this one, and as with most fft devices I wasn’t all that surprised, but it looks like the window is only 1024 samples…?

Could it be the freqshifters before and after the fft that are causing the latency? I don’t really need them, so I could simply delete those.

May 13, 2013 | 10:25 am

Wetterberg, do you have a bigger latency than the one you can hear in the video? In this case maybe there’s a problem in the audio card settings: the delay shouldn’t be very long. What platform are you using?
I don’t think the freqshifters can cause too much latency, because they are in the time domain.

May 14, 2013 | 6:18 am

yeah it was a desperate measure ripping them out.

I think it was an envelope setting that was causing it, though – the 1024 frames certainly isn’t the problem.

On another topic, we’d like to use this for our other band member, who doesn’t use Live; should we just pay over paypal and then not download? What’s the preferred method?
thanks,
andreas

May 14, 2013 | 7:20 am

Ok, I hope you solved the latency problem.

Your band friend wants to use the device as a Max patch? Yes (s)he could order it and then copy and paste it in a patcher window (and also put all the externals generated by the "unfreeze device" command in the search path).

Thank You!

May 14, 2013 | 7:42 am

yeah, I’ve already tested, it works fine.

Thanks again for the work.

all the best,
andreas

May 15, 2013 | 3:38 pm

i just bought it . its amazing how far you can go with it . Im not a fan of too freaky tools that make everything atonal which is useful for effecting or drumming but not for the musical tone aspect of my work .

But this device definitely can do both and im verry happy u didnt gone too far with UI/UX and the amount of controls :) fantastic work , incredible concept . Thank you

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)