Splitting Keyboard and timbres

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:45pm

Splitting Keyboard and timbres

Hey all,

I have a broad question, from a beginner to MAX. I’m trying to create a project where the computer keyboard generates chords, but they keyboard is separated into different timbre areas. (In other words, pressing “R” would create a different timbre than pressing “M.”) Then, I would like these individual timbral areas to be separated, so that some keys generate minor chords, and others generate major chords.

Again, I’m a beginner to MAX, so I apologize if this is a basic question. Any help and direction would be appreciated, though.

-Mark

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:50pm

Well, step 1 would be to create the synths that you want to play. The tutorials can help you there.
After that, you’d have to manually assign keys on your keyboard to each chord you want to play, so it’s entirely up to you to decide what goes where.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:56pm

mww5x wrote on Mon, 23 February 2009 15:45Hey all,

I have a broad question, from a beginner to MAX. I’m trying to create a project where the computer keyboard generates chords, but they keyboard is separated into different timbre areas. (In other words, pressing “R” would create a different timbre than pressing “M.”) Then, I would like these individual timbral areas to be separated, so that some keys generate minor chords, and others generate major chords.

Again, I’m a beginner to MAX, so I apologize if this is a basic question. Any help and direction would be appreciated, though.

-Mark

Lots of ways to do this. If you know particular chords you want you can use message boxes, this is the simplest but least flexible (as-is). You can use number boxes which are changeable in real-time (locked patches), and can have presets. You can use a [coll] for a big list of chord types which you reference by an index. And you and easily transpose any chord through addition or subtraction. There are lots of other ways too.

I show several of these methods in the patch below (Max 5 only). Copy everything including the hyphen lines at top and bottom, then choose File–>New From Clipboard in Max. This is the “Compressed” format which is obviously totally unreadable but vastly shorter than the standard JSON format, and is the preferred method for posting patches on the forums. To post your own choose Edit–>Select All in Max, then Copy Compressed (rather than Copy), then paste into your forum message.

For multi-timbres, you can have as many noteout objects as you want, each with a MIDI channel from 1-16 (where 10 is reserved for drum sounds). So certain keys would trigger a chord via a noteout on channel 1 (piano) and others might trigger a chord via a noteout on channel 2 (vibraphone), for example. The pgmout object changes the instrument on that MIDI channel, so if you send 47 to pgmout 2, your MIDI channel 2 will have a harp sound (assuming you’re using General MIDI).

To auto-play the chords, look into [metro] to bang the chords without using the computer keyboard. To send commands to different places look into [route] [sel] [gate] etc. Record sequences of notes and other MIDI data with [seq]. Get MIDI data in from external devices with [midiin] [notein] [ctlin] and [pgmin]. And on and on it goes…

Welcome to the truly endless world of Max!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.