Forums > MaxMSP

Stable electric piano plug-in for Max 5

December 4, 2009 | 9:13 am

My vision for the Max patch I’m currently working on really requires it to have a built-in electric piano. I’ve tried a couple of freeware VSTs that I used to use occassionally in Max 4 on my old pre-Intel Mac. Unfortunately, these all crash Max on my brand new MacBook Pro. (My research suggests that there are stability issues with some older VSTs in Max 5).

Does anyone know of a good VST instrument, able to produce a classic electric piano sound and run stably in Max 5? Alternatively – preferably in fact – has anyone come up with a Max patch able to effectively simulate the classic electric piano sound?

I’ve done a lot of searching and trial and error on this and haven’t yet found a satisfactory solution, so I’m resorting to a forum post.

December 4, 2009 | 10:51 am

Check out the [fluidsynth~] external for playing sound fonts. You should be able to find a free electric piano sound for that quite easily.

lh

December 4, 2009 | 1:34 pm

have you tried the patches on max 4 on your new mac?
then take off the [pp *nameofpluginthing*]

i too am also working on a ‘proper electric’ piano in max 5. although other projects keep on taking me away from finishing it off.
but i find that having samples of keys and having [buffer~]/[poly~] to mess with them seems a fitting method. although i would prefer to just have something completeyl driven by max than a sample…

December 4, 2009 | 5:14 pm

This fluidsynth~ external sounds highly promising. I’ll seek it out tonight.

And do let us know when you finish your electric piano patch, Lewis.

Thanks guys.

Any more suggestions?

December 5, 2009 | 2:03 am

Wow, it’s really easy to set up and it works a treat! Now I just have to find a really good soundfont.

Thanks for telling me about this Lewis – it’s kind of a dream come true.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)