Standalone Application creation for beginners

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:59pm

Standalone Application creation for beginners

Hello,
sorry to be so clueless but i am stuck getting anywhere with creating a standalone application.
I have read the help file but have got no further with it. What is needed for a collective and what are the option buttons in the Build Collective/Application window. whats a toplevel patcher etc?

thanks in advance,

h

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:51am

most likely you read the helpfile to the ‘standalone’ object? if you haven’t already, you should go up to the Help menu in Max5, click on “Max Help” then scroll all the way down in the window that pops up to click on the link which reads “Sharing Patches With Others”… That article gives every detail about the options buttons and how to build standalones and collectives.

the article is also available online from this link, check it out it has everything you need:
http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/sharing.html

oh and the options buttons are explained here in the “Collective Editor” Article:
http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/sharing.html

you don’t actually need to worry most of the time about explicitly selecting a top-level patcher, usually it’s the patcher you’ve opened up initially to run the build-script on. but the article explains the buttons further than i can really well. (toplevel patcher is simply the patcher that loads up everything else; kind of like a ‘parent-container’ patcher; if you’re a beginner, it might just be your only patcher so you really don’t need to worry about that button, mainly just hit the ‘Build’ button and you’ll learn further from what happens after that)

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:48pm

hi,
thanks for the advice. I have managed to create a standalone but was wondering if you could tell me hoe to create a standalone application for use without the need for maxruntime?

thanks,
hugh

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:17pm

After you hit the Build button, in the standard Save As… dialog there is a popup menu at the bottom labeled Format. Take a look at the second item in the menu.

—-

Wait a second… what exactly is it that you are asking?

If you build a Standalone (as opposed to a Collective), you can distribute to anyone and they don’t need to have Max or Max Runtime installed. The Max Runtime is embedded into the Standalone’s bundle.

If you build a Collective, there is no embedded Max Runtime, so you need to have Max (or the Max Runtime) available on the machine.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:28pm

I’m finally needing to build a standalone for a small utility I made. For some reason the Max window is always included with the standalone. I’ve never seen this with other standalones I’ve used. How do I keep the Max window from opening in my standalone?

Thanks

D

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:29pm

it’s an option for the standalone object.
David

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:35pm
David Beaudry wrote on Sun, 01 March 2009 15:29
it’s an option for the standalone object.
David

Ah thanks!

So [loadbang] connected to a [statusvisible 0] message connected to [standalone] takes care of it.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:47pm

You don’t need the [loadbang]. You can just open the [standalone] inspector and change the attribute then save your patch.

lh

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:46pm

Hehe, oops.

Good to know there’s more than one way to do it though!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.