Starting point Max MSP and C++

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:35am

Starting point Max MSP and C++

Hi , i just downloaded max msp and i notice that is a very intuitive visual programming language,but what if i want to develope audio apps in c++ instead of using the max visual environment or maybe using it together ?

does the sdk contain all classes necessary to develope any audio app or i must have to use a combination of max and c++ as a rule?

i dont know exactly whats for the sdk because it seems that max environment have all the objects necessary to get the work done without any other programming language.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:05am

the sdk contains everything to create your own max objects. It does not help you make a standalone app.

it is for extending max’s functionality, sure a lot is already in max, but there is a lot more you can (and sometimes want to/need to) do. Take a look at maxobjects.com to see what I mean.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:30pm

ok thanks im checking the site right now.

i was expecting somewhat similar to visual studio where you can drop your desired tools on a main frame and then code the logic in classes.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:22pm

nope, look at my reply to your other post about ‘writing Max code’. We use Compiled C/C+ objects called by the max framework: no interpreted or non-compiled code used in max. (except for the java scripting, which is of course interpreted, but eventually just calls wrappers around existing Max/Msp/Jitter C/C+ objects). And of course code used to compile new objects (c/C+) for the framework.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:59pm

Thanks a lot you guys you are clearing all my doubts about “how max works”. As you guess im trying to figure it out what are my capabilities and limits as a max programmer.

im not a dsp guru but im used to develope in the traditional hard coding style, so im trying to figure it out if i can achieve the same results using max and externals “i mean everything”, and hopefully can say “Max saved my day”.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.