Forums > Jitter

StarWars: Realtime Chromakey + light saber

February 28, 2007 | 3:45 pm

Hi everyone,
I’m responsible to create a mini science exposition, and I had come with an idea, but I don’t know if it is possible…

I was thinking on having a Star Wars simulator. People would be captured with a blue/green screen, holding a red stick and see themselfs (on a display) inside a starwars movie holding a light saber. Everything in realtime.

Jitter would capture the camera image, remove the blue/green screen background, replace it with a starwars movie file, detect the red stick, appy some image processing in that area(blur,brightness,etc) to simulate a light saber, and output the result to the monitor.

I worked some years ago with MAX, but I never worked with Jitter. Do you think this is possible? It is very complicated?

February 28, 2007 | 4:00 pm

Sounds like it is definitly possible if you don’t mind having some errors with red jackets and blue jeans. The keying part is peanuts, but have a look at http://www.iamas.ac.jp/~jovan02/cv/ for the light saber. Btw for the best keying, consider narrow band ultra-reflective material (expensive but effective).

Greets,
Mattijs

Quote: nfonseca@estg.ipleiria.pt wrote on Wed, 28 February 2007 16:45
—————————————————-
> Hi everyone,
> I’m responsible to create a mini science exposition, and I had come with an idea, but I don’t know if it is possible…
>
> I was thinking on having a Star Wars simulator. People would be captured with a blue/green screen, holding a red stick and see themselfs (on a display) inside a starwars movie holding a light saber. Everything in realtime.
>
> Jitter would capture the camera image, remove the blue/green screen background, replace it with a starwars movie file, detect the red stick, appy some image processing in that area(blur,brightness,etc) to simulate a light saber, and output the result to the monitor.
>
> I worked some years ago with MAX, but I never worked with Jitter. Do you think this is possible? It is very complicated?
>
>
—————————————————-

February 28, 2007 | 4:01 pm

Oh, but.. what is a light saber without the characteristic light saber sound? ;)

cw
March 1, 2007 | 7:51 am

why would one need to bother with cv? just use jit.chromakey again to extract the lightsaber, only set the mode to 1. This should be cheaper on the processor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)