Forums > Max For Live

Still confused

November 14, 2009 | 10:37 am

So, I’ve been browsing the forum and looking at Abletons webpage, and still theres one thing I don’t understand: I own Ableton 8, and understand, that I need to buy and upgrade for this, so Max4Live works inside Ableton. But do I also need to buy an add-on to Max 5, which I also own? So I need to buy two upgrades? Or do the Live objects come automatically with the next upgrade of Max 5?

B.R.
Toneklang

November 14, 2009 | 11:43 am

Max for Live is an Ableton add-on (a "Live Pack") for Live. With it you get the ability to edit Max Devices from Live, but not to edit separate patchers, for which you need the complete Max 5 package.

This is documented in Max’s online docs (there’s now a "Max for Live" menu item).

November 15, 2009 | 6:20 pm

As a Max 5 license holder you pay $99 for Max for Live.

November 16, 2009 | 1:05 am

Looking through various forums and the documentation that came with Max 5.1, I’m still a little unclear about a few things.

toneklang wrote on Sat, 14 November 2009 05:37
do the Live objects come automatically with the next upgrade of Max 5?

So what is the story with this? I know it doesn’t mean anything for functionality with Live, but will these new objects be installed for any Max 5.1 user? or only if they also have Max4Live installed?

nick rothwell / cassiel wrote on Sat, 14 November 2009 06:43
Max for Live is an Ableton add-on (a "Live Pack") for Live. With it you get the ability to edit Max Devices from Live

This is what I keep seeing everywhere, Max4Live giving the ability to "edit" Max Devices from Live. Does that mean that a Live 8.1 user without Max4Live can use (but not edit) frozen Max Devices? I’m particularly curious about this because I’m co-teaching a music visualization class next term and I was planning on making the students some standalone MSP/Jitter apps to use. Since the students will be getting the Live 8 student licenses and I was thinking it would be cool to make Jitter devices for them to use within Live without the need for the students to also purchase Max4Live since they would not need to (and won’t be taught in much detail) how to edit them. If the answer to this is no, are there any plans for any sort of Max4Live runtime?

November 16, 2009 | 3:08 am
Roth wrote on Mon, 16 November 2009 02:05
So what is the story with this? I know it doesn’t mean anything for functionality with Live, but will these new objects be installed for any Max 5.1 user? or only if they also have Max4Live installed?

There will only be one version of 5.1, so you’ll be able to use the live.* (UI objects) objects even if you don’t own Max for Live.

Quote:
This is what I keep seeing everywhere, Max4Live giving the ability to "edit" Max Devices from Live. Does that mean that a Live 8.1 user without Max4Live can use (but not edit) frozen Max Devices? I’m particularly curious about this because I’m co-teaching a music visualization class next term and I was planning on making the students some standalone MSP/Jitter apps to use. Since the students will be getting the Live 8 student licenses and I was thinking it would be cool to make Jitter devices for them to use within Live without the need for the students to also purchase Max4Live since they would not need to (and won’t be taught in much detail) how to edit them. If the answer to this is no, are there any plans for any sort of Max4Live runtime?

There’s no runtime, you’ll have to have a license of Max for Live in order to run devices made with Max for Live.

November 16, 2009 | 3:12 am
Emmanuel Jourdan wrote on Sun, 15 November 2009 22:08
There’s no runtime, you’ll have to have a license of Max for Live in order to run devices made with Max for Live.

That’s what I thought, but all the times I read, "Max for Live gives the ability to edit a Max Device…" got my hopes up.

Thanks for clarifying.

Too bad I am too swamped with programming and research to beta test more.

November 18, 2009 | 5:11 pm
Emmanuel Jourdan wrote on Mon, 16 November 2009 03:08
There will only be one version of 5.1, so you’ll be able to use the live.* (UI objects) objects even if you don’t own Max for Live.

Great! This is something that I didn’t know. Happy to know I’ll finally have a pianoroll in Max…

thanks a lot ej!

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)