Forums > Jitter

still trying to make a tunnel thingy

November 24, 2009 | 10:31 am

I’m trying to make a 3d tunnel for real time (bodycam mounted, joystick controlled) projection mapping.
I’m trying particles, but getting a nice trail effect isnt working for me.
I’ve tried a patch andrew sent me, but that didnt work either (i had absolutely no idea how to incorporate particle life)
So,
I still think this patch will be my best option, although i havent figured out how it works (after about 1 week of full time looking/reading it)
I need particles to have life control, and they have to go from point xyz to point xyz, with some spread to it. To create a tunnel of sorts.
Also 3d camera control in the middle of the tunnel

I would really love some help on this, thanks

here’s the patch

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

November 24, 2009 | 5:30 pm

i’ve managed to make my particles into lines in another patch but one question comes up.
The points are now lines, but i would like the lines to point to the attractor? (or at least make them all point one way)
The questions in the first post remain though

November 25, 2009 | 2:27 pm

for camera control you should check out zach’s excellent work: http://www.zacharyseldess.com/z.glNav.html

j

November 26, 2009 | 7:02 am

yeah camera work is not my main problem, i just use handle for that and it works fine

the thing i need is a nice blur, to create lines from the particles, or a way to make the line particles face the attractor and not be all around pointing at nothing making it look bad

November 29, 2009 | 9:12 am

does anyone care to read the first post and help me out?

November 29, 2009 | 12:43 pm

The easiest way to get some trail effects would be to use a really low Alpha value for your erase_color in your jit.gl.render, like 0.05 or less. At 0. it essentially turns erasing off for the scene. Note that if you change the rgb values for the erase_color and the alpha is low, it will take longer for the scene to get to that color.

Also try the Camera Z position, it lets you zoom straight in and out of the full scene. So if you have a good cylinder/tunnel thing going directly at the viewer, the zoom will stay inside it. You can also scale the whole jit.gl.render in the Z axis to get a similar effect.

Maybe you could also try using jit.gl.gridshape, set to opencylinder, stretched out along the Z axis a lot, to make your really long tunnel. Then send your particle jit.matrix into a jit.gl.texture instead of sending it to jit.gl.render, and apply the texture to the gridshape. I haven’t tried it, but I imagine it would look pretty interesting, especially with the different tex_map options like "reflect", and the filter options for smoothing/non-smoothing the matrix cells. For this to work you might have to manipulate the matrix dimensions or data type.

November 29, 2009 | 1:36 pm

those are some insights that wil get me somewhere!
Thanks

I think the texture on the cilinder is the best way to go,

And if it really doesnt work out at all then ill just make an after fx animation and texture that on the cilinder

THANKS

and i’ll post back on the result

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)