Forums > Gen

Stilson's Moog Ladder in gen~

January 11, 2012 | 8:04 pm

I’d posted this on the MSP list when it came out, but thought I’d repost it here since it uses gen~:

http://cycling74.com/toolbox/pm-stilsonmoog/

Hope this can be of use.

January 11, 2012 | 9:10 pm

been meaning to check this out, thanks!

January 12, 2012 | 12:47 am

Loving this:

How can we make this super nasty? I have a feeling that distortion and delays injected into this filter could be the starting point of some pure brilliance.

January 12, 2012 | 4:43 am

I’m in the middle of a project for the next couple of weeks, but I’m almost finished with a much nastier version that has saturation and self-oscillation. I’ll post it in a few weeks.

February 8, 2012 | 1:56 pm

Here it is:

http://cycling74.com/toolbox/pm-ladder-moog-ladder-filter/

February 8, 2012 | 2:56 pm

Sounds amazing!

February 9, 2012 | 12:02 pm

this is great thanks! can’t wait to have enough time to fiddle around with it properly.

February 9, 2012 | 1:32 pm

What an instrument well design and very fun and intuitive to play with…Can wait to use it more…Thanx for sharing….

Ben

dtr
February 9, 2012 | 5:42 pm

great stuff!

February 9, 2012 | 8:18 pm

sounds very rich and exciting and responds well – nice to have a go to filter in Max. Thanks Peter.

February 10, 2012 | 2:34 am

beautiful

February 10, 2012 | 4:39 pm

Awesome, thank you!

February 10, 2012 | 5:13 pm

Thanks, all, for the positive feedback. Please let me know about any bug reports. It’s a little CPU-heavy, but I have a version with a lookup table, though it’s less accurate.

The efficiency will probably improve a bit once gen~ can handle down-sampling internally.

February 10, 2012 | 10:41 pm

CPU doesn’t seem to be too bad for how good it sounds.

I’ve been messing around with a filtergraph~ trying to get a visual pseudo-representation of what’s happening, but to no useful result.

February 11, 2012 | 3:59 am

Not sure what you mean about filtergraph~. Are you trying to visualize the coeffs? They’ll be different than those in a biquad~ because of the way it handles resonance.

For more information on the filter (and other cool code from the ICST library), check out this page:

http://www.icst.net/research/projects/digital-sound-generation/

The filtering PDF has lots of really interesting info.

February 11, 2012 | 12:33 pm

Yeah basically trying to visualize the filter. I managed to get some scaling that is at least in the ballpark of the filtering (filtergraph superimposed on the spectroscope sort of line up).

It’s just for a GUI thing anyways.

That should make for some good reading, thought I generally can’t follow the math stuff for very long.

pid
February 11, 2012 | 8:56 pm

hi rodrigo.

this is a slightly neater visualisation, just ripped from a max example file

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

very tweakable / improvable.

February 11, 2012 | 10:07 pm

Yeah does look nicer but I was mainly going for a visualization of what the filter is DOING, rather than the sound coming out of it. Hence why I was using filtergraph to sort of approximate look of the filter.

scope~ does seem quite handy. I’ll have to test a bit to see how it is for cpu and displaying waveforms as I’m crazy tired of the ‘jiterring waveform~’ display when using poke~.

This is what I have at the moment: (I wrapped Peter’s code in a poly and renamed it so you went get any sound out of this but you can see what I mean):

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)