Forums > MaxMSP

Store and unpack coll

December 16, 2010 | 2:38 am

Hi all,
I am sending 16 lists to a coll object.
Coll saves those correctly.
How can I store them and unpack them correctly, see attached patch?
I have entered the questions i have directly in the patch.
Thanks!
Emanuel

December 16, 2010 | 7:38 am

Hello Emmanuel,

[coll] is not pattrstoragizable, and cannot be used with [preset] :-(

- search "coll pattr" in this forum.
- use [coll] write/read files function.
- don’t use [coll] ; f.e. append datas in a big list and fill a [pattr] with it.

December 16, 2010 | 8:34 am

Hi Pizza,

thanks for your reply and suggestions:
Appending might not be an option, because the values of the instances need to be changed on the fly, that is done well in coll.

I adopted my questions in the attached updated file in order to be more specific.

I could use the following external (store coll in pattr), but hesitate because its not max standard:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=17009

I feel there should be a simpler way without coll, too. Because mainly its just storing 4 figures assigned to an id, and restoring them. On top this should have presets.

Emanuel

December 16, 2010 | 10:26 am

I don’t understand what you expect the [zl mth] to do. It will pick out an individual element from a list.

The dump message to coll dumps n lists, one for each entry in the coll.

December 16, 2010 | 5:03 pm

Hello,

- don’t understand [zl mth] too.
- [pattrstorage foo] refers to data from [pattr coll] and not [coll].

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Appending might not be an option, because the values of the instances need to be changed on the fly, that is done well in coll.

For 16 x 4 values ; IMHO use [pattr] way or even use UI script name and [autopattr] …

December 16, 2010 | 6:50 pm

Hello maxers,

using [pattr] ; must be improved …

HTH

December 16, 2010 | 8:56 pm

I think that the goal is still sort of ill-defined. Are the various instances going to be in abstractions or bpatchers? If so, pattr would work well without the coll part. Just expose the four numbers that you want to save to autopattr, and then make sure that the abstraction is exposed to autopattr at the top level.

That said, here’s an edit of the original with coll that deals with what I think you want to do with the pack/unpack.

December 27, 2010 | 3:58 am

Chris, Pizza,
Thanks so much for your help so far.
Your ideas brought me to the final implementation:
I now use several Pack/Unpack/Forward/Pattr plus some Funnel/Spray/Pattr objects.
I also moved to Max4Live for the project, so that’s why it is all a little different. I might come back to you for some final questions, but until then, thank you very much.
Emanuel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)