strange behaviour with vst~ (and DSP)

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:48am

strange behaviour with vst~ (and DSP)

HI all,
anybody experienced a “nan” (not a number) coming from the vst object?
My vst~ has Kontakt plugged in…: how come can it send a not a number signal? never happened before…

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:44am

What is it sending a nan out of? A signal outlet? A number outlet?

Where are you seeing the message? In a float/int box? The Max window?

I’ve run into nans in a float box when using Alex Harkers descriptors objects and ended up using a [split 0. 20000.] or something like that to pass only actual numbers.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:24am

ah, well, the nan is from a vst~ so it is a signal nan.
i see it probing the msp chord. and when i print it on max window as well…

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:25am

btw, VERY important: as soon as i quit and restart the dsp it goes back to normality

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:50am

I mean, where are you seeing the (nan) message?

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:37am

coming out from the [vst~] object’s patchcord…

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:34pm

A signal outlet doesn’t display thing. What you plug it into does. What do you have vst~ plugged into?

Or can you post your patch?

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:06pm

first of all thanks for your interest… below is the scheme of the patch.
nan as said is coming out from the vst~ object (plugged to Kontakt), i see it through number~ and it is printed as well on the max window.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Oct 29, 2012 at 6:04pm

That makes sense now.

So why do you need a number~ from your vst~ output? And are you only seeing it when you use the right outlet of number~? (have you tried snapshot~ instead?)

So the nan you’re getting (I didn’t see any in my system, but I didn’t load a vst) is happening in the max world (and no the msp world).

Whenever I need a non-signal float from the signal world, I use snapshot~, but that may just be habit.

No idea why it would only happen the once though.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:06pm

well, yes, you know already that it is coming from the plug-in, so you know there is nothing you can do.
as long as your IO device driver doesnt chrash from them, nans aren´t dangerous. :)

i am not sure if thre is a msp external which can filter nans out, but there are vst plug-ins which can do it.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:07pm

bitsafe~?

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:33am

thank you for all your replies…
@ Rodrigo: the number is for displaying reasons only. in this way I can see the “nan” and use some ways to trigger action accordingly.
“So the nan you’re getting (I didn’t see any in my system, but I didn’t load a vst) is happening in the max world (and no the msp world)”
well, to me it looks like it is happening in the MSP (vst) world, the max objet i use as said is for displaying reasons only. I could have used snapshot as well, as you suggest…

@Roman:
“well, yes, you know already that it is coming from the plug-in, so you know there is nothing you can do.
as long as your IO device driver doesnt chrash from them, nans aren´t dangerous. :)”
you are right, but the DSP stops working at all! so i unless i manually send a 0 and a 1 DSP just stops working… no sounds…

@Andrzej thanks, i tried with that, but the problem is I want to eradicate the problem at the origin. Once i get nans they will never stop unless as said i close and reopen the dsp. By using bitsafe~ I only transform nans to 0s, to i lose the only thing i have to detect them and in case do some trick accordingly… ;-)

BTW, nan is such a new thing to me, and looks like i have to figure out why the hell they are coming from my VST.
Here are some thoughs…

A) I did not upgrade or modify anything in Kontakt. So it should not be a bug or something I guess. It has been working flawlessy for years
B) I have changed something in my max/msp world, so I guess this is responsible for that, in a way or another. This points to point…
…D) is it possible that some MIDI informations sent from Max to the VST are directly responsible for a nan output from the vst as well?
This i guess is the point I may need to look at… unless…
..E) by changing some instrument variable inside Kontakt itself (like gain, filters etc…) that sampler is completely responsible for the nan output. Even though i doubt that because I even tried to send super-distorted signals for hours from it, without getting any crash or nan in the VST…

So… a long story short, does anybody of you guys have any idea? ;-)
Thanks A LOT!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.