Forums > Max For Live

strange clip observer

October 6, 2010 | 5:09 pm

i’m creating a midi clip sequencer and i don’t understand the logic behind the behavior of a live.observer observing a midi clip.
it sends a bang if any note changes in the clip e.g. you move a note with the mouse.
the strangeness: it detects a change if i just select a note (click on it)
although this isn’t really a change to the clip.

i thought maybe it’s meant to work this way, but if i select a note or notes with a selection rectangle or select a note by clicking on it’s velocity bar, the observer doesn’t detect a change.

it should either not detect note selections or detect it in every case.
what do you think?

October 6, 2010 | 7:57 pm

Confirmed here. I think it’s a bug.

October 7, 2010 | 1:07 am

I’m one thinking this not to be a bug but behavior by design. Selecting a notes doesn’t do anything; it merely allows for a group-behavior by the encapsulating environment, and nothing more.

From the reference page its made quite clear that an observer listens for *changes*. In what way is selecting stuff a change?

October 7, 2010 | 9:30 am

The reference page says

"Observer sends bang when notelist changes"

But selecting a note doesn’t change the notelist, i.e. the number or properties of notes.
So the actual behavior is incorrect (and makes no sense in practice).

October 7, 2010 | 6:38 pm

finally someone confirms it, thanks.

@shelluser: i don’t understand your reply. "in what way is selecting stuff a change?" thats the question for me too.

thats why it feels senseless that the clip observer bangs out if you select a note. (aside from the other illogical things)

October 8, 2010 | 8:39 pm

Clicking on a midi clip will also change the insert marker position. So there is definitely a change occurring in the clip.

October 8, 2010 | 9:24 pm

yeah, but why isn’t it banging when i just set the insert marker somewhere,
only if you click on a note. you know, i like well-defined behavior.

i don’t understand why your desperately trying to defend it. wouldn’t you agree they have to overthink the way it works. many things are not possible now. what if i want to detect a real change to the clip. i think it’s not possible to filter out the bang when just clicking a note.

October 9, 2010 | 10:12 am

Defending misbehavior is just a common "fanboy reflex".

October 10, 2010 | 3:36 am

I’m not desperately trying to defend it. I’m only sharing my observations; which at this time were that if you clicked on a note the marker position was set; as such a chance occurred.

And I’ll also go on the record that I wasn’t aware (still not at this time, I need to test this myself) that it didn’t bang when you put a marker somewhere (I only focused on the marker as of now).

I will test that since it intrigues me but I won’t bother to respond to this thread anymore.

Yes; when I comes to Live & M4L I do consider myself a fanboy. However, I also think my actions in the past (mostly on the Abes’ forum) clearly demonstrated that I’m not acting as one. I’d never "defend" stuff when I think its broke somewhere.

Considering you two are both active here and "there" my interest in this particular thread is over.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)