Forums > MaxMSP

Strange pattrstorage problem


nit
November 13, 2009 | 1:18 am

I’ve made this patch were you can save some objects with [autopattr] to [pattrstorage] in a main patch.
It seems to happen when you save some data, some data is not saved or dalled in a right way.

In this patch you can select 4 samples for 4 buffers and save them in a pattrstorage, automatically you’re asked for a folder to sabe the pattrstorage and immediately after that you’ll be asked to select a folder where the samples you’ve selected will be saved.

The object (a [textedit]) wich is saved to pattrstorage is located in the [poly~] object. (the patch for poly is included in th .zip file.)

To me the problem seems to be that the autopattr object is saving the wrong data when no data is sent to it.

When you don’t replace all the buffers when you save two presets, and you recall both presets for one of them you will be asked to select samples for the buffers wich weren’t replaced before saving the preset.
Strange thing is that if you save the patch with the pattrstorage file and you reopen and call the presets you saved everything seems to be fine.

Maybe I’m wrong with my idea about the thing that’s causing this though.

I’m on OSX 10.5.8 MaxMSP 5.0.8
It would also be nice to know if you can reproduce my problem.



nit
November 13, 2009 | 10:46 am

I want to thank you very much!

I’ve tried it out and until now it seems to work perfectly.

But I’d like to understand why you changed the things you did and what exactly caused the problem?
The problem now is that the selected samples are recalled from the folder you first picked them from but in the end I would like them to be recalled from the new folder you’ve wrote them to when saving the preset. That’s why I was only saving file names, planning to make one main foder wich is in search path with all the sample folders inside.



nit
November 13, 2009 | 3:56 pm

thanks for this suggestion but it’s not exactly what I want to do.

My original idea was to save the sample names in pattrstorage and after that to select a folder to write the buffers to. For the saving of these samples I wiould create a folder within a master folder that is already in the search path so in this way the samples will be automatically found when their names are sent to the buffers inside the [poly~].

Your 1st solution is avoiding the empty buffers to ask for a sample (wich was the main problem) but in this way the path of the original sample is saved instead of the folder were the samples will be written to (wich is a folder that is specified after the names of the samples in [poly~]‘s [textedit] are saved).


November 18, 2009 | 2:48 pm

I avoid Programs which try to copy huge amount of data for the sake of finding them easier. With RapidJajas solution there is no need to do so. That will keep your users much more happy (including yourself)…


Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)