Forums > MaxMSP

strategies for azimut/elevation/distance calculations with a lot of objects . .

June 11, 2012 | 7:55 am

Hi there,

imagine myUniverse..

that java core instantiating a bunch of abstractions (including visual & sound objects)
each abstraction including their own calculation unit for itself in order to be able:
- to activate/inactivate depending on camera/object distance
- to place correctly sounds in the different sound channels (azimut/elevation)

I wouldn’t have 100000 objects in my map, and not even let’s say … 15 more visible at the same time (depending on the distance to the camera, you’ll have to move into that 3D space to see the others I mean)

with no sound, no visuals finished (only colored sphere right now even without fsaa), I have a poor 30fps.

For me it is a bit warning on my board.
maybe it shouldn’t be, but it means I have to improve things before to go further.

I already pushed out from my jAVA core all things & calculations not required in this part ; I mean, the JAVA is the interface with the GUI for composition purpose (=put objects, move them, modify them), it is also the point where I save/load my whole maps (=all objects with properties correctly placed etc)
It means I don’t need to calculate anything inside the JAVA.

At first, I calculated all distances there and fired the distance in each abstractions via messages.
I thought it would have been faster to do the calculation inside the abstractions themselves.

now, a bit lost.

what would you advice ??
any ideas, leads, help would be greatly appreciate :)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)