Streaming audio to a device (eg: arduino)

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:10am

Streaming audio to a device (eg: arduino)

So I have this project I have be deliberating about for some time and wanted to see if anyone has implemented something like this.

Project goals – Stream audio from max/msp wirelessly to a small device connected to a amplifier and speaker that is potentially 300′ away.

Hardware/software options (as I have found):
- AUNetSend/Receive with audiounit~
these are audio units built by apple which can send audio to each other with a bonjour protocol (I think)
- Arduino – microprocessor card that can send/receive analogue/digital signals
- Wireless types – wifi, Zigbee/Xbee, bluetooth, radio, RF
- General microprocessor – non specific
- Maxuino – collaborative effort to combine max/msp with arduino

It seems like one of the best possibilities is to send an audio stream via AUNetSend to a arduino card with a wifi shield where the arduino card has a AUNetReceive maxuino patch which will route the signal out of the analogue output to an amplifier to a loudspeaker.

So this seems to work in my head but I have no experience with maxuino or AUNetSend/Receive. I am open to ideas, thoughts, questions, comments etc.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:12am

I should also mention that the wifi shield I can set a static IP address.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:20am

Why not use a commercial wireless device? Some of those are very cheap.

Arduino is an 8-bit processor, so there’s that, and not to mention that Xbee/serial can only go so fast 11500 bytes a second.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:43am

Right, forgot about the 8-bit part.

I know I could use a iem (in ear monitor) but it’s a litte too bulky for the idea I’m thinking of using it for. If you know of something that already exists that would fit the profile, I’d love to hear it.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:44am

If you’re just trying to pass audio signal between your computer and an amp far away, every wireless unit from a music shop. A lot of them are unbalanced (guitar) level things, but there are others.

I remember buying a used one a looong time (15years) ago for like $80.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.