Forums > MaxMSP

Struggling with fzero~…

October 11, 2013 | 11:09 am

Hi,
I’m trying to immigrate out of gbr.yin~, my trusted pitchtracker and move on with my new life with fzero~. (since now fiddle~ seems defunct)

I put all kinds of filters to fit me (violin) but still can’t get it to work well as gbr.yin~. I wouldn’t think of using fzero~ if it wasn’t for the gabor objects (IRCAM) problem in M4L; it won’t work, and FTM is also a pain for standalone.

If anyone has any suggestion I greatly appreciate… Someone said something about using zl stream, zl median but I don’t know how. It sounds like those maybe what I need…

ps. All the stuff I have under fzero~ – change, round, speedlim etc. etc. is for the violin…I use it also with gbr.yin~

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>


October 11, 2013 | 11:41 am

ps. BTW this is my gbr.yin~ patch made for me at IRCAM… (by Norbert Schnell) I have been using this for a few years now in all my concerts.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>


October 11, 2013 | 4:00 pm

What is happening with fzero~ that isn’t working for you? I’d be glad to help, but I’m not sure where to start.


October 11, 2013 | 4:19 pm

Thanks so much, going to private convo. It’s the general behavior, erratic output and mistakes…


October 11, 2013 | 5:15 pm

Why go to private convo? One of the advantages of an online community is that you might find someone who has already answered your question. You could save a future user the trouble by keeping the conversation, along with any solutions, public.


October 11, 2013 | 5:36 pm

Yes sorry—Michael kindly emailed me to help—I just sent him this, side by side comparison. I made a simple violin phrase to load in so you can see exactly what the problem is…

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>


October 11, 2013 | 5:37 pm

OK here it is—please load this violin soundfile to see the result.
Here it is in the dropbox, soundfile named 10-11.aif (I can’t get rid of the error message. The file was too big to upload in this forum)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6lve4pu4vpd1bc/10-11.aif


October 11, 2013 | 7:00 pm

I’m still working on this, but taking the median helps. Also, normalizing the input audio made a noticeable difference. The levels on the file above are really low.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>


October 11, 2013 | 7:18 pm

Thanks so much! I understand my level is low, but using gbr I didn’t have a problem…


October 11, 2013 | 7:33 pm

ps. And those who use FTM you can see the new comparison:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>


October 14, 2013 | 6:13 am

Since I’m pressed with projects I decided to use yin~ to replace gbr.yin~ since yin~ works in M4L and Standalone without hassle. Still cannot use fzero~ for performance…


Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)