Forums > MaxMSP

Stupid Question…

September 28, 2006 | 7:22 pm

How do I edit presets? I’m just starting out, but when I save my preset and then reopen it all the editing functions are gone. I swear to god I’ve read though all the manuals more than once and just can’t find it mentioned :-D

Tony

September 28, 2006 | 9:38 pm

The best way to save parameter data in max is with the pattr family of objects.

wes

On 9/28/06, Antony Bernardo wrote:
>
> How do I edit presets? I’m just starting out, but when I save my preset and then reopen it all the editing functions are gone. I swear to god I’ve read though all the manuals more than once and just can’t find it mentioned :-D
>
> Tony
>

September 28, 2006 | 9:47 pm

Ah, sorry I have phrased my question wrong.

What I mean is; when I create a patch in MAX/MSP and save it (e.g mylooper.pat), when I then go to load up my .pat again I can only view it it – not edit it.

September 28, 2006 | 9:57 pm

on a mac, the little pill at the top right of the window
short cut command e
menu bar/ view/ edit

check documentation

welcome to max!
-matt

September 29, 2006 | 12:44 am

you might also be opening the Runtime by accident, and not the full
Max/MSP environment. the icons are the same.

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Sep 28, 2006, at 5:57 PM, matthew aidekman wrote:

> on a mac, the little pill at the top right of the window
> short cut command e
> menu bar/ view/ edit
>
> check documentation
>
> welcome to max!
> -matt

September 29, 2006 | 11:02 am

Ah, thanks guys – Ctrl+E does it on XP.

I’m sorry I need to clutter the forum with these obvious question but with the guide being 100+ pages I must gloss over some stuff.

No I can begin dissecting the pre-sets :-)

Tony

October 28, 2006 | 1:09 am

Also you can just hold Alt and click anywhere on the background, this will toggle between Edit / Non-Edit mode. Using Control will let you activate interface objects while in Edit mode. The View menu is handy for dealing with connections, objects, background, etc. (One nice trick for hiding connections — Hide Foreground, then Select All connections, then Hide on Lock… instead of selecting each one.) Also, hold Option if you want to select objects AND connections, or even just connections. Color-coding connections based upon their function will help you keep organized, and is worth the extra moment it takes…

Presets? They’re great for some things, but as mentioned here, go ahead and take the time to learn pattr. There’s a ton more possibilities with these, most particularly interpolation between them and windows to view the settings. You can also use coll — that is, a particular group of controls / settings get continually packed into a list, then the user can "set / save" a group of them into a coll entry. Retrieve them, unpack, and set you objects again. The advantage is that they can all go through *line* objects, so they’ll glide from one to the other.

Presets are fine for sets of on/off objects, like toggles, that can’t be interpolated. Presets are also great as compact selectors for numbers (like for the *real* presets that are hidden) — middle outlet sends out the number selected. Connect the left outlet to a dummy, hidden number box so that it doesn’t record all the objects on the screen.

Problems with presets? Most importantly…. they don’t retain their data when you copy/paste….. ach. Even if you write the preset to a file, then copy the preset, then re-read them back in… they will affect the OLD interface objects, not the ones connected to the new preset. Not how I envisioned these to work!

Apologies if this is old news to anyone… ;)

-CJ

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)