Forums > MaxMSP

subpatches all doing the same thing?

February 12, 2013 | 4:11 pm

Hi. I have a situation where I send some info into a subpatch that picks a random video clip and then it sends that file (actually a message that says "read ") into another patch that applies a random video effect to the clip. I’ve actually got several instances of this whole scenario, one for each screen. Like so:

[random clip picker] -> [random fx] -> [jit.pwindow #1]
[random clip picker] -> [random fx] -> [jit.pwindow #2]
[random clip picker] -> [random fx] -> [jit.pwindow #3]

This is all inside of a larger patch, and the subpatches are abstractions, saved as external files. When I run it however, all 3 screens have the same video on them — same files, with same effects. I’ve been up late & I’m getting pretty sleepy, but …. it’s not supposed to do this, is it? It doesn’t seem like I should need to resort to poly~ or some such craziness for this, right?

I’m a brand new user, so this is the first time I’ve ever tried this.

In case you want a more visual explanation of what I’m doing, here’s the relavant selection:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

This is pure ignorance on my part, so I thank you in advance for enlightening me.


February 12, 2013 | 6:08 pm

Without the abstractions it’s impossible to say.


February 13, 2013 | 12:28 am

Aha, okay. Well here’s the main patch:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

And then here’s video-picker.maxpat …

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

… and video-effect-plexor.maxpat …..

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

I know there’s some other buggy stuff in there, and you can feel free to give me feedback. I’m a long way from even having a finished architectural framework. But right now I’m just wondering why I can’t have three different vids playing.

Thanks.


February 13, 2013 | 2:56 am

Send and receive are global, so you need to make sure that the names are unique. If you prefix your destinations with #0, it will be unique per instance. Heres your video-effect-plexor.maxpat with the s & r prefixed w/ #0

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 13, 2013 | 8:08 am

Ah, so stupid of me! It makes perfect sense. Thanks for teaching me how to do that.

I notice, however, that even with that fixed, all subpatches still cose the same video effects to apply. This in spite of the fact that each one is supposedly using [random] to route through the fx.

Any idea what’s going on here? Is there yet another glaring thing that I’m overlooking?


February 13, 2013 | 8:19 am

Oh, I realize that not much happens if you don’t have viceo, so I should explain what video it’s expecting. First, there’s a rootpath that is set in the Config Variables section. Inside of that, it expects to see these folders, each associated with an ethernet event:

escalation/ (e event)
deescalation/ (d event)
annihilation/ (f event)
fill/ (tilt event)

So you can test what I’m talking about above, if you have one folder with videos & use the appropriate trigger.

E.g. this folder
/escalation/
and trigger with the "e" event.


February 13, 2013 | 4:22 pm

I don’t have time to look into it further today, but I would look for more things that use send & receive that might want to have their scope limited by using #0


February 13, 2013 | 10:21 pm

Yep. You were totally right. I’m blind.

I was really excited when I figured out that I didn’t need wires going everywhere….. But it does stand to reason that there would be a catch. :-) Definitely a fun learning process getting into the Max Mind…..

Thanks a lot for your help.
josh


Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)