Forums > Java

Sun SPOT and max msp?

November 19, 2008 | 4:28 pm

Hi all,

I just wondered, if anyone managed to communicate with the Sun SPOT interface yet? Anyone, who wrote some java code that makes all the Sun SPOT’s in and outputs communicate with max – and who wants to share their code?

Thank you in advance!

vegaz

November 19, 2008 | 9:35 pm

Quote: vegaz.hope wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 08:28
—————————————————-
> I just wondered, if anyone managed to communicate with the Sun SPOT interface yet? Anyone, who wrote some java code that makes all the Sun SPOT’s in and outputs communicate with max – and who wants to share their code?
>

First time I’ve heard of these. Looks pretty cool, but there’s no way I am paying $750 for it.

It sounds like to communicate with a computer, you need to have the USB base station hooked up, and then you can run a program on the desktop to receive data from the sensors.

If I were trying to get this to run in Max, I would start with the SendData tutorial:
http://www.sunspotworld.com/docs/Blue/Tutorial/SendDataHTTP.html
which is included with the SDK, and rework Sun’s source code for this tutorial to run inside a MaxObject class.

Instead of dumping the sensor info to System.out or whatever, just send it to the outlet() method. Seems like it would be pretty easy. Just make sure you have all the required SPOT jar files on Max’s java classpath (under the lib directory for your platform’s Java installation, or under Cycling ’74/java/lib in your Max installation).

If anyone wants to buy me a SPOT, I will help develop a Max interface ;)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)