Forums > Jitter

Syncing 3 channels of HD quicktime playback on 3 networked mac minis

September 2, 2009 | 10:29 am

Im doing an installation in Santa Fe, and am creating a system to sync 3 quicktime videos along 3 mac minis (its a long continuous projection), Im figuring I will use netsend and recieve and have one of them send the current frame number and that drives the other two, im curious if anyone has tried this and if it works out. Unfortunately I cant go to the location right now and install myself and troubleshoot so I have to plan it out as best as possible and get it working remotely. If anyone has any input It would be much appreciated!

September 2, 2009 | 1:03 pm

hey Axiom sounds interesting, cant help you out but am interested in the reasons why your using 3 mac mini’s. is this purely for CPU reasons of playing back 3 vids at once.?

Im doing a similar somewhat instillation soon were i have videos being projected onto different walls responding to movement in the room with cv.jit. Am noticing some lack in performance.

September 2, 2009 | 1:44 pm

my friend Zach poff wrote a little app for this purpose :
http://www.zachpoff.com/site/software/software.html#multiscreener

app and source code available
hope it helps

September 4, 2009 | 5:38 am

It totally 100% works. I have not tried HD, but I did have a pretty simple jitter patch that tested latency occasionally and corrected re-timing signals to the clients from the main ‘time code’ source server (the master that everyone was syncing too). It seemed to get almost perfect sync even down to audio.

Here it is, and old old old patch, but it should work. I havent tested it in a while.

Note I posted this on the forums, with an attachment. Oh, shit, right, there is no more mailing list so thats moot. God, this place has changed. Razz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)