Forums > MaxMSP

Tap tempo

October 12, 2011 | 5:47 pm

Hi all.
I’m very new to Max and don’t really have a grasp on it yet. Spent last year at uni on synth maker but Max seems quite different (well from the outset anyway but I think I’m staring to get to grips with it). Anyway attached is a step sequencer I’m making for University. (if the file works this is my first post) I’m having trouble with the tap tempo. I created it by coping from a help page on this forum but I don’t understand why the faster I tap the slower the tempo is? Have I put something the wrong way round or something? I don’t know, that’s why I’m on here haha. Any help with this would be fantastic! and any suggestions of what I can do to really make this something really good and get me a good mark would be equally brilliant.

October 12, 2011 | 6:32 pm

Your tap stuff calculates BPM, but metro take a ms rate.

October 12, 2011 | 7:09 pm

ok so would I just remove the metro object or is there an object that needs to be there instead of the metro?

MIB
October 12, 2011 | 7:50 pm

metro should work fine, but do your calculation of the tempo in ms rather than bpm. this should get you started

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

and just out of curiosity, where did you get those patches from? some of it looks like examples I wrote for a course I was TAing a while back… specially the "melodyImprov" subpatch looks like something I did for that particular class. There are better ways of doing this, this was a quick example using the knowledge the class had up to that point… just wondering.

October 12, 2011 | 8:47 pm

Thanks MIB. It’s been pieced together from watching a few youtube tutorials, searching google for help and how to guides and trial and error.

October 13, 2011 | 3:50 am

You can calculate/display BPM, but still operate in ms internally:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)