Forums > MaxMSP

Tempo Track – Conductor Track – Tempo Map | reading from a sequencer

March 5, 2011 | 6:24 pm

Guys,

Every sequencer I have worked with (Sonar, Cubase, Digital Performer, Logic) has a tempo track/Conductor Track/Tempo Map (they are named differently depending on which sequencer you’re using).

Is there a way to pull into max that tempo map/track in real time to see the changes? I have found that using [Match 241 nn] I can receive the hour|minute|second|frame of the MTC to see exactly where I am at in a running midi sequence. Is there a way to do the same thing with a tempo map/track? I want to see the tempos changing as they are happening in real time.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Most grateful for you help.

Dave Zabriskie

Jan
March 5, 2011 | 11:20 pm

What about running the sequencer as rewire slave and reading the transport information with [rewire~]?

Jan

March 6, 2011 | 12:07 am

Or you could receive MIDI clock and calculate BPM from it, like this.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 8, 2011 | 11:22 pm

hey you may want to check John MacCallum’s "midifile" class on cnmat which imports any standard midi file. its timing is not reliable but i just use it to parse data via the "dump" function. export midi from finale, dp, or whatever, load into midifile, dump track 0 (the conductor track you want) to a coll. i attached a patch that does this. the data can be used for anything like plotting a graph of tempo/meter change, or you could automate something with solid timing (like phasor~). this patch loads with a smf i made that has a almost constantly changing tempo – the coll gets them all prepended by real midi time stamps which are actually microseconds µs! then you just have to thin out the data.

Attachments:
  1. mastertrk0.zip

March 17, 2011 | 7:36 pm

Thanks for your help. I haven’t figured this out yet. Driftpattern, I have a couple of questions I’m going to throw at you in a separate email so I don’t bog down this forum site.

Thanks!!

Dave

March 17, 2011 | 7:39 pm

Drift, do you have an email where I can contact you? Mine is in my profile. I downloaded your file, but I have several questions I need to ask.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)