Forums > Jitter

text in performance

April 23, 2009 | 3:30 am

Working on a patch that incorporates live text input that is in turn displayed onscreen, with live triggers for random changes in font and location so that it each word appears in different area.

I’ve managed doing this with jit.lcd, but I don’t like the pixellating I get when going full-screen; I’d like to try to use jit.gl.text2d (or text3d), but I’m having trouble figuring out how to get the live input in a format it can read. I’ve figured out the positioning (I think), color, etc., but I’m having trouble taking the ascii input and converting it into a form that I can send through a "prepend text" or "prepend append" object so that the text2d object will actually render the character. Any ideas?

April 25, 2009 | 5:32 pm

Not sure I get your question.
A blend of [textedit] and [jit.gl.text2d] doesn’t work for you?

April 27, 2009 | 4:03 am

If it would, I’m not quite sure how to get it to do so.

Here’s the idea:

As the performer types words, each letter (a) appears immediately on the screen after running through a couple of Jitter objects for texture and alpha, and (b) triggers a midi note. Carriage return clears the screen and positions the start point for the next word or line at a different location. I’m unclear how to accomplish letter-by-letter response with textedit…

April 29, 2009 | 11:56 am
pablohosehead wrote on Sun, 26 April 2009 23:03
If it would, I’m not quite sure how to get it to do so.

Here’s the idea:

As the performer types words, each letter (a) appears immediately on the screen after running through a couple of Jitter objects for texture and alpha, and (b) triggers a midi note. Carriage return clears the screen and positions the start point for the next word or line at a different location. I’m unclear how to accomplish letter-by-letter response with textedit…

You can just use [key] for what you want, using [sel 13] to grab the carriage returns. Put a [sprintf %c] after the [key] output to see the letters rather than the numbers (though this will not work for non-printing characters). Alternatively you can use [textedit], just send it through [route text-->spell-->itoa] to get a character list. However I don’t think it’ll put out the keystrokes individually, you’d need [key] for that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)