Forums > Javascript

This forum is buggy!!

January 11, 2007 | 2:15 pm

Yo guys, give Wallace Winfrey some more time to spend on this forum!! Man I’m here, working hard to report BUGS in max so that they may be fixed, which I am not paying myself for, and then even the forum appears to be buggy.. that is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING!!!

.. Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

Look, I’m trying to post this text to the javascript forum:

http://www.oli.tudelft.nl/avdl1064/problem.txt

But when I press Preview Message, only half of it will be visible and put back in the textarea. Try it for yourself.

geez ..time for a cup of coffee.

Mattijs

Mac OS 10.4.8, Firefox 5.0

January 19, 2007 | 5:15 pm

Sorry for my ferocity in the first post. Guess that was one of those days with a lot of lost time due to other ppls bugs.

I had this particular problem again today. It looks like it occurs when copying text from the max window.

I pasted the text of my post in TextWrangler en selected "Show invisibles". I found that exactly on the position where the text disappears when pressing ‘Preview’, in TextWrangler, there is a red upside down questionmark. You can also see it in the textfile I uploaded (see first post). It is after the line:

"This outputs in the max window: top patcher is "

C74, have a look. I think this is a bug that can be fixed quite easily.

Regards,
Mattijs

January 19, 2007 | 5:47 pm

This is not as easy as you might think, and it’s not really an issue of Cycling letting me have more time to work on forum bugs.

The forum does it’s best to display each post as plain text. It also tries to be very diligent about NOT letting what it perceives to be HTML in the post. It does this for security reasons, so that someone can’t hijack a page. Obviously in a JavaScript forum, we’re more likely to run across this issue than others. The fact is, if we were to make this web forum MORE friendly to the embedding of JavaScript, even if it is benign, we’d be introducing other issues.

My advice is this. Either link to your code when the forum won’t accept it, or try to attach it (I know this doesn’t always work either).

My apologies that this is a pain in the ass — but if you think about it for a second, not being able to easily paste JavaScript in is a feature, not a bug. It’s also worth mentioning that since I didn’t write this forum software, it’s a bit more difficult for me to dive into the source and muck around with the display engine — at best, it’s considerably time-consuming.

cheers

w

January 19, 2007 | 5:54 pm

Another option with "well formed bug reports" ™ is to send them to support.

:)

-A

January 19, 2007 | 6:26 pm

Hi,

I understand your explanation, I agree, this is not easy. But still it’s more easy than you think. Read on.

The problem is not with including javascript, that works perfectly (apart from the tabs at the beginning of a line being left out), which is admittedly a fine achievement.

The problem lies with the character that is placed in the max window when calling post() without arguments from javascript. In the max window this results in a new line command. The hex code of this character is 00. When I paste that into the forum, everything after this character disappears.

So the fix for this entire problem would be to let post() without arguments not print 00 (null) but 0A (an official new line feed) into the max window.

Regards,
Mattijs

And yeah, Wallace has nothing to do with this, so doesn’t his time schedule, which I am in no position to speculate about in the first place. In short, my apologies and forget the first post.

Quote: wallace winfrey wrote on Fri, 19 January 2007 18:47
—————————————————-
> This is not as easy as you might think, and it’s not really an issue of Cycling letting me have more time to work on forum bugs.
>
> The forum does it’s best to display each post as plain text. It also tries to be very diligent about NOT letting what it perceives to be HTML in the post. It does this for security reasons, so that someone can’t hijack a page. Obviously in a JavaScript forum, we’re more likely to run across this issue than others. The fact is, if we were to make this web forum MORE friendly to the embedding of JavaScript, even if it is benign, we’d be introducing other issues.
>
> My advice is this. Either link to your code when the forum won’t accept it, or try to attach it (I know this doesn’t always work either).
>
> My apologies that this is a pain in the ass — but if you think about it for a second, not being able to easily paste JavaScript in is a feature, not a bug. It’s also worth mentioning that since I didn’t write this forum software, it’s a bit more difficult for me to dive into the source and muck around with the display engine — at best, it’s considerably time-consuming.
>
> cheers
>
> w
—————————————————-

January 20, 2007 | 10:54 am

Wallace Winfrey wrote on Fri, 19 January 2007 18:47
—————————————————-
> The forum does it’s best to display each post as plain text. It also tries to be very diligent about NOT letting what it perceives to be HTML in the post. It does this for security reasons, so that someone can’t hijack a page.
—————————————————-

However, it would be cool to let us free to post clickable ftp and http URLs in HTML formatting for onboard readers.
What do you think?

Best regards,
Philippe

January 21, 2007 | 12:37 pm

Ok, it’s not true.

I have no idea where the null character comes from. Fact is that it entered that post somehow and I had the same problem earlier. So forget it for now, I’ll try to find out what’s happening and then start a new thread.

Mattijs

Quote: Mattijs wrote on Fri, 19 January 2007 19:26
—————————————————-
> Hi,
>
> I understand your explanation, I agree, this is not easy. But still it’s more easy than you think. Read on.
>
> The problem is not with including javascript, that works perfectly (apart from the tabs at the beginning of a line being left out), which is admittedly a fine achievement.
>
> The problem lies with the character that is placed in the max window when calling post() without arguments from javascript. In the max window this results in a new line command. The hex code of this character is 00. When I paste that into the forum, everything after this character disappears.
>
> So the fix for this entire problem would be to let post() without arguments not print 00 (null) but 0A (an official new line feed) into the max window.
>
> Regards,
> Mattijs
>
> And yeah, Wallace has nothing to do with this, so doesn’t his time schedule, which I am in no position to speculate about in the first place. In short, my apologies and forget the first post.
>
>
>
> Quote: wallace winfrey wrote on Fri, 19 January 2007 18:47
> —————————————————-
> > This is not as easy as you might think, and it’s not really an issue of Cycling letting me have more time to work on forum bugs.
> >
> > The forum does it’s best to display each post as plain text. It also tries to be very diligent about NOT letting what it perceives to be HTML in the post. It does this for security reasons, so that someone can’t hijack a page. Obviously in a JavaScript forum, we’re more likely to run across this issue than others. The fact is, if we were to make this web forum MORE friendly to the embedding of JavaScript, even if it is benign, we’d be introducing other issues.
> >
> > My advice is this. Either link to your code when the forum won’t accept it, or try to attach it (I know this doesn’t always work either).
> >
> > My apologies that this is a pain in the ass — but if you think about it for a second, not being able to easily paste JavaScript in is a feature, not a bug. It’s also worth mentioning that since I didn’t write this forum software, it’s a bit more difficult for me to dive into the source and muck around with the display engine — at best, it’s considerably time-consuming.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > w
> —————————————————-
>
>
—————————————————-

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)