time signatures with phasor~

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:39pm

time signatures with phasor~

I cant find anything about this in the mailing list.
Im looking for a example how to handle the time signatures with a audio phase from phasor~. Maybe a combination with count~ and rate~?

every help will be much appreciated!!

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:54pm

phasor responds to the time code for the transport object. take a look at that.

alternatively you could convert beats to Hz.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Sep 24, 2009 at 1:10pm

thanks for the example. but i cant understand where is the goal with the BPM to HZ conversion to get time signatures like 3/4 or 3/12.

im looking for a way to handle time signatures outside of transport.

thanks a lot!!

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:22pm

hi RapidRaja,

thanks a lot for the clear example.
Actually I don’t need a counter so it works perfect for me, but I will try it and post it here if I can get something interesting.

Thanks a lot guys, very kind!

g

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:31pm

can’t look at raja’s post right now since im not on a computer with max, but in response to:

i.te wrote on Thu, 24 September 2009 09:10
thanks for the example. but i cant understand where is the goal with the BPM to HZ conversion to get time signatures like 3/4 or 3/12.

im looking for a way to handle time signatures outside of transport.

thanks a lot!!

If you can convert the length of one beat into Hz, then you can scale that value to include multiple beats. For example, if you are in a 3/4 measure, divide Hz by 3 (or multiply the BPM value by 3), and you’ll get a phasor ramping from 0-1 over the course of a measure. If you want the phasor to ramp through beats 1-3, then multiply the output of the phasor by [*~ 3.].

This also allows for much stranger subdivisions than transport permits. Scale the value of the BPM by 7/5, or 8/3, or any other peculiar fraction, for interesting (if not always musically successful) results. Perhaps reset all phasors’ phase to 0 every X amount of beats for a syncing mechanism between these unusual subdivisions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.