Forums > Max For Live

Tips needed for how to do a couple of thing using max4live

November 6, 2009 | 10:45 am

Hi,

I’ve installed max for live along with the live 8.10 update and am raring to go off and learn stuff, but i’ve got some questions about possibilities and to get an idea of where I should focus my learning expedition. Essentially, i want to customise my APC40 using max4live to do the following:

- when the play button in live is pressed, make the track select buttons flash orange sequentially from left to right in time to the metronome. This feature is the same as Darren Cowley’s live template, but that uses Bomes to achieve this

- make stop clip buttons light up in red if a clip in it’s track is being played

- use looper to record a loop in a track, but when the play button in looper is pressed, pause the clip that was playing. When stop is pressed in looper, resume playback of the clip

- dual functionality for all clip buttons. For example if you hold a clip button down for >1000ms, it performs a different function to normal

Are these things possible? I’m learning about paths, objects and observers at the moment, and i understand that these will be key. Any tips for where I should start?

I’ve heard that there’s an APC40 specific API in production for max4live. Any idea if this is available yet? Maybe it’s worth waiting for this before I start plugging away – what are all you APC40 owners doing?

Cheers!
Sunil

November 6, 2009 | 4:15 pm

There’s a CS step sequencer in lesson 14 which does some of this, check it out. It’s in your Library in Lessons.

-A

November 6, 2009 | 4:27 pm
mRpinC wrote on Fri, 06 November 2009 03:45
Hi,

I’ve installed max for live along with the live 8.10 update and am raring to go off and learn stuff, but i’ve got some questions about possibilities and to get an idea of where I should focus my learning expedition. Essentially, i want to customise my APC40 using max4live to do the following:

- when the play button in live is pressed, make the track select buttons flash orange sequentially from left to right in time to the metronome. This feature is the same as Darren Cowley’s live template, but that uses Bomes to achieve this

- make stop clip buttons light up in red if a clip in it’s track is being played

- use looper to record a loop in a track, but when the play button in looper is pressed, pause the clip that was playing. When stop is pressed in looper, resume playback of the clip

- dual functionality for all clip buttons. For example if you hold a clip button down for >1000ms, it performs a different function to normal

Are these things possible? I’m learning about paths, objects and observers at the moment, and i understand that these will be key. Any tips for where I should start?

I’ve heard that there’s an APC40 specific API in production for max4live. Any idea if this is available yet? Maybe it’s worth waiting for this before I start plugging away – what are all you APC40 owners doing?

Cheers!
Sunil

Yo Sunil!!!

- The metronome isn’t a bomes feature it’s simply sending Midi messages out of Ableton to the APC, i’ll post an ALS sometime this weekend of how to do it with just one Midi Track rather than 8 that are currently required…..

- Clip Stop Buttons unfortunately have the choice of green or green based on the led that Akai installed (money saving gits)

- Max gives much better access to the looping of a clip so the use of Looper (with it’s inherent flaws) is likely to come to an end, i believe that you’ll be able to mimic the looping of say deckadance whereby you can loop and then turn the loop off and continue from where you are playing from or turn of the loop and continue from where the clips position would have been if you hadn’t looped it (this is the same as the CDJ900′s slip function)

- Dual Functionality? The API for the APC is as yet undocumented but there have been subtle improvements already such as the scroll buttons when held down will scroll continuously until released

I ‘ve been testing for about a month but still can’t save any patches so have been simply seeing what i can observe and control using the patches out there at the moment, i can see a much more elegant use of the clip launch buttons and i’d love to have the red box split into 5 clip slots per track so you don’t have to keep thinking of everything in a line, then you could navigate in every track and not just the 5 clip slots that are in a horizontal line…..

Cheers
D

November 6, 2009 | 4:33 pm

>>>>I ‘ve been testing for about a month but still can’t save any patches

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wanna talk about it a little?

Please include all system details

-A

November 6, 2009 | 4:46 pm

Dealing directly with Ben Bracken (through the ableton forum) but thanks for the quick response, i must say the support so far has been fantastic for me as a newbie!

Cheers
D

November 6, 2009 | 5:20 pm

Easy now Darren!! Good to see you here Smile

Shame that only green is available for stop clips. I couldn’t work out how you got the stop clip to light when a clip in it’s track was playing – I assume you programmed this function in bomes? I’m trying to stay away from external apps going forwards and would like to use just Max if possible, but don’t know if this will be possible yet

So is your ‘metronome track select flasher’ gizmo possible to implement without bomes? I’ve not gotten my head around bomes yet, and as a result, your template (doh!)

Dual functionality in the sense that a quick press of the clip would have a default action, i.e. start clip, whereas if a clip is playing, holding the clip button down could enable pause. Could also be quite annoying if it wasn’t implemented well lol

Also would love to know if it’s possible to tie together the 2 banks of 8 knobs, thus making 16 knobs that you can select using the pan/senda/sendb, etc buttons. Any idea if this is possible yet? If not, hopefully the APC api will have some good news in store for me. My DJ template uses 4 channels to play tunes, each with it’s own EQ/looper and beat repeat. Having a 1 button access to each of these functions would be a great thing

Love your idea on being able to separate the red box into segments. I can really see this becoming a staple function if we can do it. Personally i’d only need to have up/down movement per track, with global left/right, if you know what i mean

Shame you’ve not been able to save your work yet. I think the max/live beta i got yesterday allows this. Have you got that yet?

Cheers!
Sunil

November 6, 2009 | 5:28 pm

The Stop Clips flashing if a clip is playing is foolproof with max as you can observe if a clip is actually playing in live rather than it being driven from have you pressed play, you could even turn the play pad a different colour based on whether the clip has loop activated or i believe a follow action (i’m gonna turn the pad green for follow action, orange for looping and red for the clip is going to stop)

And yeah the metronome thingy is a native to live feature, i’ll tidy it up at the weekend and post it on ALDJ i think….

I think Dual functionality is possible, it’s to do with the metro object but i’m unsure as to exactly how…

And if you have two devices on a track you can enquire the values of each of the macros, sending these values to light up the two banks of controls should be relatively simple….

HAve you downloaded the APC protocol document yet? It’s got details of the three modes of the APC that can be utilised…..!

And yeah i’m oin the latest version but i’m slowly going through a checklist that Ben sent me to isolate the problem…

Cheers
D

November 6, 2009 | 6:00 pm

Thanks mate…

1 last question, with the metronome tweak you use, when i implement it can i still access the underlying track select buttons? In your template you’ve mapped the track select buttons to a plugin (lucifer?), but i’d like to keep the track select functionality for all 8 channels if possible?

November 7, 2009 | 1:37 am

No worries, yeah i just chose that i’d use those buttons for lucifer or beatlookup as i’d have a visual representation of which part of the bar i’d be glitching…

You could easily leave them at the standared mapping which is what i’m moving back to….

Cheers
D

November 7, 2009 | 8:10 am

Cheer D.

Quick update. Had a play last night and got your metronome working on my template. Works a treat with standard mapping, as you said. Wierdly tho, as the metronome moves over and past a track select that’s on, it turns it off for exactly 1 bar. No idea why this is as i’ve played with note length and clip quantize values… hmm… just thought, maybe it’s tied to global quantise, which i have as 1 bar by default. Interested in seeing your template for this doing it in 1 track, I can only assume you’re sending notes with different channel values somehow!?

Anyways, thanks so much for your words of wisdom. After playing with your template and bomes mappings last night, i’ve decided to take the plunge in max proper. I’m going to hopefully implement the looper of my dreams and wait for the APC40 api to be released and attempt to implement the stopclip flashing gizmo you’ve done in bomes. Not sure ow much mileage i’ll get, but the ride will be interesting!! Smile

You back from Thailand (holiday?) yet? Hope you’ve had fun Smile

Cheers
Sunil

November 8, 2009 | 1:00 am

Yeah, Thailand was amazing, can’t wait to get the opportunity to go back, unfortunately the laptop i took to get a load of warping and ableton stuff done simpluy wasn’t up to the job so i’m keeping an eye on the efurbishjed MAc shop to get myself a 13 inche MacBook pr for playing out, then maybe i can consider the offers i’ve been getting… OT but how did the first night go?

Cheers
D

November 8, 2009 | 3:41 pm

Opening night was a success! We managed to get close to capacity, was probably helped by it being payday mind, but we had no complaints about the music Smile We’ve been offered a residency beginning in the new year, so you’d better get your macbook sorted!

November 8, 2009 | 5:55 pm

Wicked really glad to hear it you deserved it to be a success with the effort you guys put in! i’ve only just rediscovered the joys of going out in birmingham, i’m back up for Prydz at the end of the month although Yoda looks good for next weekend….

Macbook should be done by christmas, i’ll have to lay out for MAx4Live as well now though, seeing the stuff that can be done with buffers is gonna make it worth everypenny… I’ve just deleted Reaktor off my system so i need to get creating if i’m gonna be ready anytime soon… (plus i’m distracted having just got hold of serato in advance of the January announcement, i’m running it back through the soundcard and into ableton and i’m amazed at the lack of latency when i compare it to my old set up that used phono p[reamps and deckadance….!)

The maxforlive.com patch library has got an awesome starter project in it based around four delays that are filled on one instruction and then can be played back at different speeds, it will be an amazing plugin when it’s finished and is just the sort of thing that i want Max for!

Cheers
D

November 8, 2009 | 7:40 pm

Wicked, i’ll look out for the delay plugin. Was playing around with the tutorials and pluggo demos last night and was amazed at the quality and useability of the audio plugs. I heard some an amazing phasor that i fell in love with, its going into my template and replacing the standard abe gear. Really surprised at how low the cpu hit is on most of the plugs too.

Going to have a play around with the buffer stuff too! Was looking at record/play/buffer/sync, etc. but couldn’t figure out how It all syncs with the host. There was some external sync stuff, but I assume that there will be an api for the live transport. Need to dig about a bit. As you say, the buffer stuff looks amazing as the patches are all fairly minimal so will allow for much complexity! Was surprised at the lack of looper type pluggo devices tho. Would love to see best practices for chopping audio up.

You got m4l installed and working yet mate?

Not got a saturday free till after xman now, but will need to hook up one of the times you’re in brum!

November 8, 2009 | 11:30 pm

No still not got it going, ran about an hour or so of tests yesterday and sent the results off to Ableton but nothing worked to get things going including deleting the preferences, in fact it’s ended up meaning i can’t recall my last set i was working on but those are the riska of beta testing i suppose, i just want to get some stuff mapped now though!!

And i think all this expense will have to be a christmas present to myself…… It’ll be worth it if i can play out again though, it’s been a while…..

Cheers
D

April 17, 2010 | 6:58 pm

Am I missing something…? I only see 13 lessons in my Ableton 8 library…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)