Forums > MaxMSP

To choose certain octave

April 9, 2013 | 2:47 pm

Hello there,
I was wondering what are the ways I could do to choose for example just note numbers of Octave A , in this case just 9, 21, 33,..etc? or just an Octave C.. I’m not so sure how do I scale it so I will get sounds of those range.

Any help would be much appreciated

April 9, 2013 | 6:37 pm

Do you want to filter out notes that aren’t in the right range, or fold notes into the right range? Here are some suggestions:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 9, 2013 | 7:08 pm

Hey mzed,
Thanks for your reply. I realised I didn’t explain it clearly in my initial post.
I wanted to get a certain note regardless of what octave it is (0-10)
So I was wondering how can I just filter out all the C or A# at makenote.
I know I could scale the pitch/note number between a certain range like 24-83 and supply it to makenote but that’s not what I want because that’s just getting all different notes at the same time.
I trying to map them to different colours. So let’s say C would be the Red sound and A would be Blue sound.

April 9, 2013 | 7:21 pm

Hi
as mzed suggests [% 12] is your first requirement (if I understand correctly), thereafter you probably need [routepass]; for example [routepass 0 10] will allow only C and A# through, irrespective of 8ve location.

Brendan

April 9, 2013 | 7:52 pm

So here’s something I figured…

This might be a dumb question, but how do I get the value int out of it ?

April 9, 2013 | 8:34 pm

You’re using [sel] instead of [routepass]

April 9, 2013 | 9:01 pm

Okay fixed it, but how do I get the note number out of it? so [routepass 0] will give me note C… from there how do I get the int? I’m not getting anything out of it…as in the value.

April 9, 2013 | 9:16 pm

What do you mean? The value IS being passed, but it will always show 0 because you are [routepass]ing only the value 0.

Is that what you mean?

April 9, 2013 | 9:18 pm

oops, my bad

ditch the [routepass], just come straight out of [% 12], then use split to target and pass specific note numbers.

Brendan

April 9, 2013 | 9:29 pm

So Note C of octave of 0-10 will have note number – 0, 12, 24,36,48,…120
how does split do the job? If I set it [split 0 120] it will give me everything in between those number.. but I only want those of note C

April 9, 2013 | 10:08 pm

routepass did what I wanted just that it gave bang, but I want the note number instead.. .How?
All the patches you guys posted make sense but they do not output what I wanted. Basically, like I mentioned above, I wanted it to get let’s say I want note C, so it will only output all the note numbers of note C – so 0, 12, 24,….120

April 9, 2013 | 10:55 pm

Like I said, forget [routepass], that was a bad call. Do this:

Brendan

April 9, 2013 | 11:30 pm

Or something like this?

April 9, 2013 | 11:56 pm

Notein -> %12 of C will always be zero. Notein -> / 12 is the octave. Here are all the C’s on one keyboard and E’s on another:

April 10, 2013 | 12:07 am

ah, just missed it. Here’s mine:

April 10, 2013 | 3:43 pm

Thank you a lot guys, all the posted patches helped me a lot .Thank you again for all of your help.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)