Forums > MaxMSP

To get Click on a Kick

March 14, 2008 | 12:12 am

Hi,

I need some help to finish my kick synth..When an attack is very fast like 0,2ms we have something like a click on the kick. Somepeoples could find it not esthtetic but i want to keep it, the problem is I never have the same ‘click’ cause the enveloppe never open at the same place on the wave form. It doesn’t matter when you make percussive sound on high frequency but on low frequency like sin kick sound it’s a real problem.

I’m sorry for my poor English but French forum are so bad…
Thx for your help…

March 14, 2008 | 4:42 pm

Hi,

You should post your patch so people can see what the problem is.

I guess, however, that the envelop of the kick starts at 0. If you set it to 1 (from the start) you don’t hear the click anymore. furthermore, to add a click thats always the same just mix in [click~] so you have more control over the overall sound. You can also alter the sound of [click~].

Goodluck

March 15, 2008 | 12:36 am

Thank you danny for your answer.
I find a solution with the wave~ object and its start function… I will post a patch soon to show you that…

March 15, 2008 | 4:01 pm

Hey Joe,
I remember that I used a simple [adsr~] with maxsustain 0. just route a
message box to attack and decay and set the number in the box to say like
2ms. change the number a little bit to get another click ‘color’. In this
case there’s no need for lowpass filtering for altering the sound of
[click~].
cheers,
J.

2008/3/14, Joe :
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I need some help to finish my kick synth..When an attack is very fast like
> 0,2ms we have something like a click on the kick. Somepeoples could find it
> not esthtetic but i want to keep it, the problem is I never have the same
> ‘click’ cause the enveloppe never open at the same place on the wave form.
> It doesn’t matter when you make percussive sound on high frequency but on
> low frequency like sin kick sound it’s a real problem.
>
> I’m sorry for my poor English but French forum are so bad…
> Thx for your help…
>
>
>

October 2, 2008 | 12:42 pm

Hey man,

please post the patch if your finished !

Cheers

October 2, 2008 | 7:52 pm

Hi, never saw the patch so it might not even be applicable but the post below is one which first taught me a very valuable technique in syncing the playback of a sample or oscillator to a phasor~(or cycle~ oscillator)… it’s well worth a look:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&rid=6532&S=8bf9c7090c36c0c39444a2432c3eb877&th=32614&goto=147921#msg_147921

then, perhaps even more unrelated, you can see by taking a quick look at the shared patch within the post of mine below that the technique above helped me a great deal in creating a signal-accurate sampler:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=152843

(signal-accurate sampler? maybe i meant sample-accurate signaller? o.k. i’ll stop now…)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)