to iLok or not to iLok

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:59pm

to iLok or not to iLok

i just upgraded to Max 5 and am trying to figure out if i should use my iLok or the internet authorization. my previous license is on an iLok but i am a bit hesitant after reading the FAQ that if my iLok were to be lost or stolen i would have to buy a new license. internet auth worries me a bit as well since there are limited authorizations. how strict are C74 on additional auths?

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:19pm

for me, i love my iLok key. i [refer than having one single code on my computer.
so say if i go to a friends house, and i did not take my computer, i can at least install the software on his and then use my key. although i dont take my key alone with me that much.

before i chose to finally use just my iLok key instead, people were telling me stories about losing serial numbers inside it. it not being a great way to store key code etc.

but i feel fine with mine, i dont treat it wrong, i dont bash it around. it practically stays in one place all the time. but i love the thought that i can use max on any computer if need be. it was really helpful when i was at work, and i just brought my key in when i wanted to mess with max at work, when i had nothing to do. it was great.

i think you just have to look at the different options of how helpful it would and would not be.
and even though people said about the iLok being unstable and so forth. nobody ever said about harddrives failing and them losing key codes, or there computer going dead or whatever.
so what you have to look at is how it would best suit you.

i use an iLok key, and i have had no troubles at all. i love the thing. plus as well, you dont have to have it in all the time when using max. once max is loaded up with the key in, you can take it out and work without worry of it snapping or catching it on something.

hope this helped you in your path of easing your mind…

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:04pm

Can you switch over from internet authorization to ilok? I have had 2 hard drive failures and I always find it awkward to ask Cycling for an additional authorization. I am worried that it will be very difficult once I upgrade my machine in a few months. This is the number one problem I have doing everything digital.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:12pm

according to the FAQ, it appears that you can go from internet activation to iLok but not the reverse. once you have committed to an iLok you are stuck with it. hence my dilemma.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:15pm

Fwiw, Cycling have never let me down when it comes to granting additional authorisations – drive failures, new machines, changing machines at work, whatever – they’ve always come up with the goods really quickly.
It’s a difficult call, but if your concern is with getting additional authorisations, I really wouldn’t worry about it,
cheers
Roger

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:29pm

thanks roger, my main concern is with the number of internet activations. although i only have one music machine and only rebuild if i absolutely have to, it is reassuring that i won’t be left out in the cold at some point. Ableton has a similar method and they have always been easy to deal with, i was hoping for the same with C74 and sounds like it is.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.