Forums > MaxMSP

Total audio shut-down.

June 11, 2007 | 6:25 pm

Big problem. Something really bad just started happening.

Every time I turn the audio on in my Max set-up, everything grinds to a halt for about 30 seconds. When things finally get going it only works for a couple of minutes before the audio totally cuts out. The patches still seem to be working (the level meters still register activity) but there’s no output, just a loud glitchy noise if I turn the audio on or off again. I’ve checked the DSP status and I only seem to be using about 50% of the CPU.

Anyone got any idea what the problem might be?

I’ve just started using my own polyphonic synths. Could this be relevant?

Should I reinstall?

For reference, I’m using version 4.6.2.

June 11, 2007 | 6:49 pm

Is it the same for all patches or only to the one you’re working on? Could it be a dc offset, if the latter is the case. Did you name an abstraction like an existing object?

_
johan

June 11, 2007 | 9:38 pm

I haven’t had time to test this out properly but it seems like everything works fine when I’m building a single patch but when I start using several patches together everything grinds to a halt.

It seems possible that I ought to do an audit of my patches, sub-patches,abstractions etc. to make sure everything has a unique name etc. Then, I guess I’ll find out if my programming is at fault or if my install of Max is breaking down.

I’m still open to suggestions and advice in the mean time, though. Could it be something to do with the computer itself? The audio in my Mac has done occasional weird things since I installed Jack a while back.

June 12, 2007 | 6:31 am

Here’s what I’ve learned – if I start the audio going in my main patcher before I open up a synth patcher, then everything runs fine. If I open a synth patcher before I turn the audio on, everything goes to hell.

Which basically solves the problem but I’d still like to know what in my synths is causing the shut-down to happen, so that I can prevent it 100%.

June 12, 2007 | 9:26 am

Sam Macklin schrieb:
> Here’s what I’ve learned – if I start the audio going in my main
> patcher before I open up a synth patcher, then everything runs fine.
> If I open a synth patcher before I turn the audio on, everything goes
> to hell.
>
> Which basically solves the problem but I’d still like to know what in
> my synths is causing the shut-down to happen, so that I can prevent
> it 100%.

It must be due to an initialisation in your patch. Things like that can
happen if you introduce DC, or if you blow up filters.
You can hook up an oscillator at the places where the meters are still
moving, to analyse better whats going on. Another way to monitor sound
is to take a buffer~, record~ into it and visualise with waveform~. If
you put record~ on loop you can constantly see and zoom into the result…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

June 14, 2007 | 4:43 pm

I think it must be something to do with DC offset in the synth. I guess I need to learn more about using DC in synths. Any tips?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)