Forums > MaxMSP

Touch Screen Thumbnail Picker

February 23, 2012 | 11:38 am

I’m wondering about the possibility of building a touchscreen interface to select from a bunch of thumbnails and hopefully drag them to an area of the screen to select them.

I’m lucky enough to own an ipad but not too keen to use it as it is for an installation so thinking about a cheap Android Tablet or maybe an ipod touch.

Are there any apps that do this? Are there any midi/osc control apps which support jpegs. I think the C74 app does but I found it a bit clunky to use. Also tried using the device as a secondary display but it was a bit laggy.

Ideally I’d like to find a way to do it which used usb as opposed to wifi. I’ll build the app myself if needs be but just checking I’m not reinventing the wheel first.

Any suggestions?

February 24, 2012 | 11:14 am

Haven’t looked at C74 for a while cos I had problems with it too, but I think there was just an update, maybe worth looking at again?

There’s also Fantastick which I think can do what you want. I had issues with it too, but I seem to remember it was because I wanted to use an existing network and it works better with a peer-to-peer/ ad-hoc network.

If you don’t mind wires, could you use a touch screen monitor? Maybe take it off its stand and do something to tidy/ protect the horrible monitor lead?

Has anyone tried these tablets that run Windows 7? Can’t imagine they would run too well, but…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)