Transforming noise to harmonies

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:27am

Transforming noise to harmonies

Dear all,
Im an artist from Madrid working on a sound installation.

Im trying to find a way, arbitrary of course, to transform in real time noise from riots into structured sound or harmonies that would sound more or less pleasurable to our ears, outputting that transformation in real time through speakers. (the input is a recorded file)

Could anybody point me out to an object, a library a project or any suggestion that may do what i want ?

I would be extremely grateful, – Im really worried because this is for a sound installation with a deadline -

- Im open to offers, or to pay someone to do this for me.

Please contact me through this forum or by email : mfranquelo2@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:55am

Hi, how about resonance freqs?You could easily form chords with these.
Is also easy sequenceable, and randomizable…

Got a few ideas on how to, but what is technically possible for the project? What software do you use etc…

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:21pm

Check out the 5th example [p poly_using_signal_input] in the MSP tutorial #21: “Using the ~poly Object.” In particular, look at the ~poly object inside that tutorial: [poly~ littlefilter~ 16]. It uses a set of resonant bandpass filters tuned to harmonics on white noise to create a wonderful sweeping sound. I’m sure you could do something similar with pre-recorded audio as well.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:22pm

And resonators/comb-filters/short delays, whatever you wanna call them, too.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:26pm

Humm. That is a good MSP tutorial. Thanks for the suggestion BKShepard. It has a lot of potential for development. Would love to try this with prerecorded material….

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:10pm

Thank you all for your charming responses.

Hi, how about resonance freqs?You could easily form chords with these.
Is also easy sequenceable, and randomizable…

Got a few ideas on how to, but what is technically possible for the project? What software do you use etc…

- TheMaster > My equipment is very limited, basically its only a laptop, amplifier, a wall of speakers. Speaking of software, i´ve got ableton live. Everything is possible, however i have to adjust my budget to the simplest and paradoxically best solution.

Im producing the mix of riot sounds, which are basically noise, in adobe audition. I could ask for more hardware if needed.

Please tell me your ideas on how to!
Best wishes,
Manuel.

- BKShepard > Thanks, i´ll check that tutorial, i have a colleague which is working with me that knows C programming (at least..) , i have no knowledge at all in this matter however from what i read that object only accepts MIDI as an input ?

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:11am

Hi, I made a small example just as a proof of concept.

Have a quick listen.

It’s build up from cheering and riot sounds and it all evolves to a simple chord.

All is done in Ableton Live 9. Very easy to sequence and automate. You could do so much more with rumble (I added some…) and Q-factors, chord changes and such…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.