translation from PD to max …

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:13am

translation from PD to max …

Hi,

I have some objects in pure data that I would like to translate into max objects …

What are these pd objects called in max? Are there any equivalents?

comport
bytes2any
import moocow

I really appreciate you help, since I prefer to work in max!

Also in general: Is there any way I can see which PD objects are equivalent with which max objects?

Thanks,
ana

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:51am

What do the objects do?

Once you get past the very basic objects, converting PdMax/MSP becomes an exercise in understanding what objects (or groups of objects) do, and then finding an idiomatic way of doing the same thing in the target environment. Lots of times there isn’t a one-to-one relationship between the two.

For instance, Pd has a hipass object. MSP doesn’t provide a dedicated one-pole highpass filter because you can simply lowpass the source and subtract the result from the original for—hey, presto!—a highpass filter. So, to translate this you need two objects and a couple of patch cords in Max (or you can build yourself an abstraction as a plug-and-play replacement). There are other examples where Max/MSP has a convenience object you’ll need to patch a little in Pd.

There are some fluently bilingual (Max/Pd) people around, but until one of them has time to look at this, you may be able to dig out the answer. But it’s mostly not a rose garden.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.