Transparency issue with jit.gl.gridshape

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:09am

Transparency issue with jit.gl.gridshape

Hi guys,

I am in need of a little help!

I have created a large 5-sided cube (with a 6th, front side to be added) out of 5 flattened cubes from jit.gl.gridshape objects, and have placed a sphere inside which bounces about, reporting collisions with each face of the cube as it hits them. I am attempting to make each face transparent so that the sphere inside can be seen, but when it hits a face, I wanted that face to flash a certain colour, then return to being transparent.

I have managed to work out the collision reporting, but I am stuck on this one transparency issue. I have searched about the forums and the only thing I’ve found is how to make a whole cube from one jit.gl.gridshape object transparent, which isn’t what I’m after as I would want to trigger each face separately. Basically just need some idea on how to make a flattened cube shape transparent so that the black areas are see-through, but colours become visible when collisions occur.

I have posted the patch, hope it’s okay to read. Thanks in advance for any assistance given!

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:22pm

Hey man, there are a couple of issues that your patch has.
1. jit.gl.material is not set to take up transparency, there is a process you need to follow to set it up. http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/jit-gl-material-alpha-transparency-possible/

Here is their example applied to your patch

<code>

</code>

2. Another way to deal with it is to remove material all together and just use transparency values of the objects

<code>

</code>
Ohh and play with blending modes attributes

Have fun

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.