Transport and rewire

Apr 27, 2008 at 9:32pm

Transport and rewire

I thought I’d get some feedback on this. Right now I’m trying to sync the Max transport to a rewire host using the hostsync~ object.

I wasn’t sure if this was the best method to sync. Right now the transport object is getting updated with new timing information on every beat. I seem to get pretty good timing but wanted to make sure that the constant updates wouldn’t be adversely affecting the timing of transport based objects like metro.

I’m not expecting anyone to do tests for me, but if there is someone on the developer side that has a little background on transport then maybe you could put in your two cents.

Oh, and one other thing- To use rewire, I open the Logic 7.2 (MBP runnging OSX 10.4.11) and then run max. I get two messages in the
Max window-

Registered MaxMSP ReWire Device
Please restart your ReWire mixer application.

Rewire seems to run fine, so I don’t know why I need to restart Logic. I am assuming this is a bug.

Thanks!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 28, 2008 at 5:39am

Just to follow up on my own post- I did a number of tests and finally decided to throw out rewire. I’ve been living with the troubles of using rewire for a few years but its time to move on.

I think the new Max transport works as a fine replacement. I am currently setting the tempo & time signature manually in max, and using the rtin object for transport on/off sync to Logic.

Additionally I’m syncing via midi song position messages using a patch based off of this text-

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec/ssp.htm

Here is an example of the midi sync stuff I’m using with transport-

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

So far this has performed a lot better than using rewire and without all of the fuss.

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:51pm

Sorry, I am trying to catch to everyone. How do I get the example
you pasted into Max5. Copy, paste does not seem to work.

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:54pm

First, make sure you have the latest (5.01) version that was released over the weekend. Then copy everything starting and ending with the dashes. Go to max -> File -> New from clipboard

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.