Forums > MaxMSP

Triggering samples on the keyboard only on the beat so it is never out of time

March 21, 2011 | 8:14 pm

Hi
I have created a step sequencer using matrix ctrl. I have then linked it up so that samples and MIDI are linked to my midi keyboard on two seperate octaves.
I was just wondering if anyone knows anyideas on how have it so that it will never go out of time when i hit on the keyboard if it is playing along with a pattern or otherwise.

This is what i have so far. Any help will be much appreciated.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 21, 2011 | 9:01 pm

first, determine your smallest quantization time (sixteenth, eighth, etc.)–how exact do you want "in time" to be. use a metro that continually bangs at that rate, which might be very fast. You can also use [counter] –> [%4] –> [sel 0] to use every 4th pulse instead of every one, etc. If you change the [metro] rate you’ll need to be sure it starts its new rate at the right time, so probably a [trigger 1 i 0] where 0 stops it, i sets the new msec rate, then 1 starts it again, or tie it somehow to the [matrixctrl] counter. (that could be used for the quantization too, actually.)

then, instead of your input (keyboard) notes actually sounding right away, store the note(s) in [i] or a message box, and they only get played when you get your overall "timing" bang from the main metro. Of course, this only helps with early notes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)