Forums > MaxMSP

Triggering the Basedrum!

May 4, 2012 | 8:49 pm

Hi!
I want to controle lights according to the music, especially while TECHNO music is played.
I tried to work with the total loudness using the levelmeter output signal. This is fine, but I want to sync at least one light to the basedrum which means to the very low frequency. I tried the levelmeter output after a LPF.. but this is the same as the "normal" loudness just with a lower amplitude.

How shoul I manage this electronic music problem?

Yours

Alexander

May 7, 2012 | 7:05 am

Using a lpf seems a good idea to me, I had good results that way. To get a better separation, you could try with 2 or 3 biquad~ in serial.

May 7, 2012 | 3:08 pm

Bonk~ is usually the object of choice for detecting individual beats. It’s output can be a little erratic, so an LP filter may help if you’re just looking for kick hits.
Here’s something ripped from an old patch that helps bonk~ along by doing basic statistics on it’s output using lp.stacey from the Litter Power objects – for both bonk~ and Litter, see http://www.maxobjects.com.
You could do the analysis with standard objects instead, but it’s a very old patch as I said, and I would always take the easy way out in those days :-)
Here we’re only using the ‘note’ output of bonk~ for a basic trigger, but you could also use the ‘velocity’ info to scale the brightness of the lights or to fine tune the hit detection or whatever,
Cheers
Roger

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

May 7, 2012 | 8:09 pm

This thread was out there in a similar form, I think it was using jit.brcosa; if you check in my responses, you’ll find it. I demonstrated a way of doing it via envelope follower. To (help) isolate the bass drum, you could use cross~.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)