Trouble with linedrive

May 4, 2009 at 2:03pm

Trouble with linedrive

Hello everyone, I am currently trying to use linedrive in Max/MSP 4 and I am having trouble. Firstly I’d like to ask if there is a maximum value that you can enter for linedrives first argument? I am trying to create an exponential curve for pitch bend data so I have the first number set to 16344 and linedrive outputs either a “nan” message or a 0. when I run any number higher than 7447 into it, not sure why. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

May 4, 2009 at 4:50pm

What are you trying to use as the third argument? You can easily get in to trouble if this value is wrong, try something that is a very, very tiny amount above 1. It might even be easier using something like [expr] to get your exponential curve as this will give you more control. What sort of values are you trying to get out of the [linedrive] object?

lh

May 12, 2009 at 11:07pm

If I want to use “expr” does anyone know a mathematical formula I could put in to create and vary logarithmic curves? To be honest I’m not amazing at math!

May 12, 2009 at 11:59pm

Have a look at the logarithmic and exponential functions shown below to get an idea of what you can do with the [expr] object. These equations output between 0 and 1 but using multiplication you could easily scale it to the values you need.

lh

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
May 13, 2009 at 3:06am

You might want to consider looking at Emmanuel Jourdan’s lovely take on the function object, which – in addition to many other cool things – does curves.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.