Forums > Jitter

try to implement shader for z-depth map according the luminance of the texture

April 4, 2012 | 3:45 pm

hi all,
I try to learn about glsl shaders, in implementing this shader for jitter:
http://vimeo.com/38019842
basically, he maps the z of the mesh according to the red values of texture (if I understand correctly his code).

I would like to do that but according to the luminance of each pixel.
see the attached result, it’s more like a polygone global treatment than a really fine pixel one.
I would like to have some clues, what I do wrong ? I couldn’t transmit the luminance value from fragment to vertex so I trie to the calculation in the vertex, maybe stupid-I’m not even sure that the luma is correctly detected :)
the amplitude param is not bind, because as you can see, it would crash max (see .jxs file)

here’s the patch and the shader;
thx you in adavance.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Attachments:
  1. ghost2.jxs

April 4, 2012 | 5:27 pm

when i try to run your patch, max stops working, but i did it using jit.gen.
i am starting, to play around with gen, so maybe it wont be ideal :)

April 4, 2012 | 5:34 pm

thx, this is weird my patch doesn’t crash here…anyway the result is kind of what I want beside the fact that I want to do this with shaders, I need to learn about them !:)
Thx in advance.

April 4, 2012 | 5:54 pm

The capability of using textures in the vertex program is highly driver dependent. Depending on your hardware+OS+graphics card driver it may or may not work.

April 4, 2012 | 9:05 pm

and would it be possible to send luma calculated in the fragment program into the vertex program ? Haven’t find anything like that…
varying sends values from vertex to fragment…but the opposite…?

still workout on my mess ghost shader ;)

April 4, 2012 | 9:08 pm

no. information can only go from the vertex shader to the fragment shader.

April 4, 2012 | 9:32 pm

ok so I’m on the good way ? I suppose my mistake comes from gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix or gl_TextureMatrix… even with docs it’s pretty new to me !
thx.

April 4, 2012 | 10:56 pm

The biggest error in that shader was the binding of the same

to both VP and FP. You have to choose one. You can however create 2 params that point to the same texture. So you could do the following:

and then bind "tex1" to "vp"

Another thing I noticed is that you set up a varying "texcoord" that is never written to in the vertex program. By default this will just be zero. Try adding this line before the sampling line
texcoord=gl_TexCoord[0].xy;

Finally, you aren’t using the "amplitude" variable, so that will throw a warning. Try multiplying luminance*amplitude in your code now. One thing I noticed on that video is that it appears that it’s actually doing a Y offset based on luminance instead of Z, but it will just look different.

April 5, 2012 | 9:28 am

thanks wesley and andrew for your time. final version works, actually no need to varying texcoord, if I’m not wrong:
gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_TextureMatrix[0]*gl_MultiTexCoord0 does transform texture coordinate into vertex position.

here’s the jxs working,

Attachments:
  1. ghost4luma.jxs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)