UBC Toolbox (free)

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:58am

UBC Toolbox (free)

Keith Hamel and I have created about 45 bPatchers which contain various audio and video processors, and which are available for free download. These are based on our own work as well as existing help and example files. The toolbox is still in beta (version 0.85) but there are help files and an online tutorial available. The Toolbox also has the ability to handle messaging with Hamel’s NoteAbility Pro notation program, either on the same machine or over ethernet. Suggestions are always welcome.

UBC Toolbox:

http://www.opusonemusic.net/muset/toolbox.html

NoteAbility Pro

http://www.opusonemusic.net/

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:14pm

Thanks for sharing this. It looks lovely.

The first things I noticed as I prepared to install were csound~ and the
csound library. There was a recent update to these posted on the list which
I downloaded and installed. The versions in your package have older dates.

Cheers,
Gary Lee Nelson
TIMARA Department
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:19pm

Thanks for sharing this. It looks lovely.

The first things I noticed as I prepared to install were csound~ and the
csound library. The library is current but csound~ is older than the one in
the recent update.

Cheers,
Gary Lee Nelson
TIMARA Department
Oberlin College

Apr 3, 2006 at 5:16pm

Thanks for noticing that, Gary. We’ll get on top of it. The csound~ is only necessary for the vowel synthesis patchers, but of course we should go with the current version.

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:52pm

I love the UBC toolbox. MANY thanks for developing it.
However i have just upgraded to max/msp4.6/jitter4.6 on a macbook pro and none of the modules utilizing the poly2 work.
I get error messages such as those below. Any ideas?
Best mm

poly2 unable to Jitter 1.6.2 installed
MXJ System CLASSPATH:
/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/lib/jitter.jar
/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/lib/jode-1.1.2-pre-embedded.jar
/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/lib/max.jar
MXJClassloader CLASSPATH:
/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/classes/
Jitter Java support installed
? error: poly2: unable to load object bundle executable
2007-01-21 18:38:53.042 MaxMSP[283] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/externals/poly2.mxo/Contents/MacOS/poly2
coll: finished, 48 lines
2007-01-21 18:38:53.644 MaxMSP[283] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/externals/poly2.mxo/Contents/MacOS/poly2

2007-01-21 18:44:23.606 MaxMSP[283] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/externals/poly2.mxo/Contents/MacOS/poly2

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:48pm

I just checked that the poly2.mxo external is, indeed, a universal binary (downloaded a new toolbox version, replaced the poly2.mxo) and things work on my MacBook Pro. Can you make sure that you’ve moved the UniversalBinary externals (and not the PPC ones) from the Toolbox folder into your Cycling74 externals path? But before you replace anything, you might want to remove the old externals with the same name from that externals folder: sometimes the old externals don’t get replaced by the new ones coming in because of the suffixes (the added .mxo), and it may be that that is what has happened to you. I also suggest zipping any folders with PPC or 4.5 externals that you don’t need, just to keep the environment tidy. Let me know if that works.

Jan 22, 2007 at 12:21am

What a great resource…and coming at a very useful time for me. Thank you! By the way, where should we send bug reports?

Thanks again!,
Brennon

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:28am

Hi all, now that we are talking about UBC toolbox, is there a way to
get the resulting signal as an outlet instead of going directly from
the effect to the dac~ without us being able to control that??? is
there any way of editing these patches, they seem locked?

J

On 1/21/07, Brennon wrote:
>
> What a great resource…and coming at a very useful time for me. Thank you! By the way, where should we send bug reports?
>
> Thanks again!,
> Brennon
>

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:25pm

Charred, many thanks for your help- deleting the similiarly named externals did the trick and sorted out all the patches that use poly2.
However the problem is still not sorted for anything that uses csound~ Here is the error

? error: Macintosh HD:/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/externals/csound~.mxo: loading old CFM externals disabled

Thanks for your help and those eho don’t know, ubc toolbox is great!

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:58pm

Hi Brennon,

You can send bug reports directly to me, or you can post them here. We receive them either way, and if you post them it can prevent duplications.

Thanks

bob

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:15pm

Hi Jaimie,

You can edit the patchers by opening the file with the BP in the title. For instance, with the file player, if you open filePlayerBP.pat you can see the surface level connections. From there you can work your way down to whatever you need, and you can put a send~ mySound in anywhere in the signal path to get the signal. I suggest putting the send~ rather than adding another outlet so you can still use the bPatcher in the regular way if you need to, without having to redo the interface.

bob

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:09pm

Thanks Bob, I’ll try that,

Jaime

On 1/22/07, Bob Pritchard wrote:
>
> Hi Jaimie,
>
> You can edit the patchers by opening the file with the BP in the title. For instance, with the file player, if you open filePlayerBP.pat you can see the surface level connections. From there you can work your way down to whatever you need, and you can put a send~ mySound in anywhere in the signal path to get the signal. I suggest putting the send~ rather than adding another outlet so you can still use the bPatcher in the regular way if you need to, without having to redo the interface.
>
> bob
>

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:15pm

I see lots of chat about the greatness of UBC Toolbox, looks v.nice
alright. Any word on a windows port for us poor PC users?

Scott

Bob Pritchard wrote:
> Hi Brennon,
>
> You can send bug reports directly to me, or you can post them here. We receive them either way, and if you post them it can prevent duplications.
>
> Thanks
>
> bob
>
>

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:12pm

Hi miltmerm,

With the change to Intels and 4.6 the PAF and vSynth modules don’t work. We’re waiting for third parties to make binaries of their objects.

The cSound issue:

for Max 4.5 the PPC cSound library should work. (Version 4.23.11).cSound5 now runs on Intels with a cSound~.mxo object from Davis Pyon (http://www.davixology.com/csound~.html) We’ve had difficulty with the vSynth objects finding and reading the score file, but it hasn’t been a replicable error between our machines, so we’re not certain what is happening there.

You could try installing cSound 5 and Pyon’s cSound~ object, and then duplicating and renaming the FG3.csd file to FG4.csd (inside the vSynth folder), and changing the “csound FG3.csd” message in vowelSynth.pat to “csound FG4.csd”. I’d be interested in hearing how it works for you.

bob

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:23pm

Hi Scott,

The Windows port is an ongoing discussion, and it’s certainly desireable for programming, performances and for the whole community. I think it will happen eventually for some of the Toolbox, but right now time is at a premium and the port is on the back burner. Part of the conversion involves checking out which third party objects aren’t compiled for Windows.

bob

Quote: scott.hislists wrote on Mon, 22 January 2007 10:15
—————————————————-
> I see lots of chat about the greatness of UBC Toolbox, looks v.nice
> alright. Any word on a windows port for us poor PC users?
>
> Scott
>

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:36pm

Universal binary for Max 4.6?
Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:52pm

Sorry. Found it. Maxobjects.com doesn’t mention UB for UBC, C?

On 1/24/07 7:36 AM, “Gary Lee Nelson” wrote:

> Universal binary for Max 4.6?
> Cheers
> Gary Lee Nelson
> Oberlin College
> http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
>
>

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:58pm

Hi,

I’ve just upgraded from version .82 to .89 of the UBC toolbox because I wanted to use the megasampler abstractions, but trying to open those crashes max every time. I am on Max 4.6.2 with a G4 powerbook. I put the Universal Binaries version of the externals into the correct folder. As mentioned above in this thread I deleted the old externals with the same name. I thought there might be a conflict with some other library, so I changed my file preferences to only include the toolbox but I still get the crash.

It seems that the problem may again be the poly2.mxo object. When I try to create one in a patcher window, max crashes.

I’d love to know what is causing this…

Sean

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:12pm

I just realized what my problem was. I had the ubc toolbox folder in my file preferences and the ppc versions of the .mxo externals were in there. Those were the ones that were being loaded, not the ones in my externals folder. So I zipped the moveTo folders and deleted the originals and now it works. This was actually suggested in the documentation for the toolbox, so I should have rtfm’d.

Sean

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:17pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll add that to the list of things to do

Quote: Gary Lee Nelson wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 04:52
—————————————————-
> Sorry. Found it. Maxobjects.com doesn’t mention UB for UBC, C?
>
>
>
> Cheers
> Gary Lee Nelson
> Oberlin College
> http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
>
>
>
—————————————————-

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:21pm

Hi Sean,

Glad that got resolved. I’m always antsy about where Max is looking for externals and objects, so I end up zipping a lot of patches and folders to keep things out of the path.

bob

Quote: ferguson@music.mcgill.ca wrote on Tue, 30 January 2007 10:12
—————————————————-
> I just realized what my problem was. I had the ubc toolbox folder in my file preferences and the ppc versions of the .mxo externals were in there. Those were the ones that were being loaded, not the ones in my externals folder. So I zipped the moveTo folders and deleted the originals and now it works. This was actually suggested in the documentation for the toolbox, so I should have rtfm’d.
>
> Sean
—————————————————-

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.