Forums > MaxMSP

Unable to start Max

October 10, 2007 | 1:38 pm

I have had troubles in the past with long start-up times for Max, though it would eventually load even if taking 10+ minutes. However, I haven’t used the program in a while and now when I try to start up Max it stops at ‘initializing interface’ for about ten minutes or so and then closes completly. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the program, yet it still continues to do this. Since I can’t even get it open I am unable to check the file search paths, but those shouldn’t have carried over from a reinstall, right? I am at a loss and would appreciate any help in this matter.

~I am running Max 4.6.2 on Windows XP Home Edition SP2

October 10, 2007 | 8:01 pm

Moved this topic from the archives to the MaxMSP forum. Please reply to the MaxMSP list.

October 10, 2007 | 8:53 pm

Quote: Tommymander wrote on Wed, 10 October 2007 06:38
—————————————————-
> I have had troubles in the past with long start-up times for Max, though it would eventually load even if taking 10+ minutes. However, I haven’t used the program in a while and now when I try to start up Max it stops at ‘initializing interface’ for about ten minutes or so and then closes completly. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the program, yet it still continues to do this. Since I can’t even get it open I am unable to check the file search paths, but those shouldn’t have carried over from a reinstall, right? I am at a loss and would appreciate any help in this matter.
>
> ~I am running Max 4.6.2 on Windows XP Home Edition SP2
—————————————————-

I had issues like this before I gave up on Win XP. Max almost always took a long time to start up for me on that OS. There were situations when it would suddenly die in the middle of initialization like you describe. To fix that I remember doing things like the following:

- reboot the computer

- disconnect any external audio/MIDI hardward

- ensure that NO other audio related applications (iTunes, Media player, DAWs) were open when trying to start Max. This was usually the culprit from what I remember. Windows has some seriously screwed up audio driver issues.

-Adam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)