netsend~/netreceive~ objects (which were alpha). They worked back in
’06, but now crash Max under Max/MSP 4.6.3 on Tiger, and don’t appear to
have been updated since I last tried them. A search of the list archives
turned up a reference to the jit.catch~ and jit.release~ objects being
useful for networked audio. I downloaded Jitter (I don’t own it), and
tried the demo patch as shown in the bottom of this article:

http://www.cycling74.com/story/2006/10/23/104657/91

It works, but there are plenty of dropouts and discontinuities at the
default buffer length (10ms), even when just running it over localhost.
Setting the jit.release~ buffer to around 200 ms seems to get rid of the
clicks, but it also adds more latency than I’d like. So my question is,
is anyone aware of new objects/externals, other than those just
mentioned, that can be used for sending/receiving 44.1/16 or better
quality audio over a network? Many thanks!

Best,

Peter

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:03pm

hello,
i recently made a patch for a live performance for 5 laptops which every laptop receives audio from a master over a 100Mb local network, and in the tests the maximum latency i reach was about 10ms in the host(remembering the host is a XP AMD 600Mhz, and the master is a mackbook pro core duo, all running max5). of course the AMD dropouts and discontinuities are obvious, but that depends i guess of the firewal, turning off may helps in both mac and windows. i finish the tests whit 3 computers and all 2 hosts received, and played in real time, more less, but whit a diferent pitch from the master, i solve that whit gizmo~. for this process the LAN sending and receiving reach 300Kb/s in both directions. hope that info helps.

Luis Marques

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:55pm

Hi Luis,

What objects were you using to do the networked audio in your patch?
jit.catch~ and jit.release~? Or did you build your own? Thanks!

Best,

Peter

Luis Marques wrote:
> hello,
> i recently made a patch for a live performance for 5 laptops which every laptop receives audio from a master over a 100Mb local network, and in the tests the maximum latency i reach was about 10ms in the host(remembering the host is a XP AMD 600Mhz, and the master is a mackbook pro core duo, all running max5). of course the AMD dropouts and discontinuities are obvious, but that depends i guess of the firewal, turning off may helps in both mac and windows. i finish the tests whit 3 computers and all 2 hosts received, and played in real time, more less, but whit a diferent pitch from the master, i solve that whit gizmo~. for this process the LAN sending and receiving reach 300Kb/s in both directions. hope that info helps.
>
> Luis Marques
>

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:16pm

yes, only max msp / jitter objects, toked from the tutorial and that web page you mentioned before. i try all the others like netsend~, mxj net.send, oggamp~, even CNMAT… you name it. besides some of them are obsolete on intel machines and max 5. the best in network send is the jit.catch~ and jit.release~ whit the jit.net.send/recv. you must have a relative powerfull machine, whit my patch when i turn DAC on is about 20% just for jit.catch~ and jit.release~, and whit other processing it reaches 40 and 50%. a good alternative probably is netsend~ but the actual version is in alpha mode and don’t work on mac intel. i don’t known if we can recompile the object whit the new SDK… i’m not used to making objects.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.